Requisition ID: req1949
Job Title: Research Coordinator
Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees, IDPs, and others affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. We address both the immediate, life -saving needs of conflict-affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post-conflict societies.
The Economic Recovery and Development Technical Unit (ERD TU) at the IRC is responsible for providing dynamic, innovative support to IRC’s field offices for their economic and livelihoods programming. This unit promotes best practices and ensures the IRC delivers high quality livelihoods programs. The Research, Evaluation and Learning (REL) Unit helps the IRC serve people with the most effective and efficient programs suited to a particular context. The REL unit supports the IRC in generating new evidence and using existing research to inform strategic plans and develop high quality intervention models based on evidence of what works. The unit also builds capacity of staff to interpret and apply existing research and to conduct evaluations.
The Research Coordinator position will be a part of the ERD technical unit and the REL unit at IRC’s headquarters in New York City and will play a critical role in helping the IRC deliver on its ERD research priorities. This position will also work closely with technical and country teams within the ERD, REL and other technical units at the IRC.
The Research Coordinator will play a critical role within the ERD TU and REL unit to carry out activities in support of the research priorities across ERD’s practice areas. The Research Coordinator will be specifically responsible for: (i) coordinating across the various actors involved in the research including technical units, country teams and academic partners; (ii) provide support with business development activities and managing research projects, and (iii) play a lead role in reporting research activities and progress to donors, and internal and external audiences. This position requires strong project management skills, excellent interpersonal and communication skills and prior experience working with qualitative & quantitative data.
* Support research related business development activities, including conducting literature reviews, brainstorming research design ideas, developing proposals and engaging with country programs, along with the ERD Research and Development Technical Advisor
* Play a lead role in securing ethics approval for ERD research studies and ensuring that all ERD research studies comply with ethical requirements and IRC research standards
* Work closely with relevant country programs to lay the groundwork for research implementation
* Provide direct support in rolling out and managing research activities related to the cash research agenda and other ERD priority areas, including but not limited to developing the work plan and managing the budget
* Assist in developing research instruments, conducting data collection training, and monitoring progress of research activities
* Play a lead role in monitoring the quality of data collected and conducting data analysis, including cost-efficiency analysis and rolling out and monitoring of performance metrics for ERD programs
* Play a lead role in coordinating within ERD and across technical units and country programs to collect the necessary information for donor reporting. Responsible for ensuring completion and timely submission of donor reports
* Responsible for coordination with academic partners, when applicable
* Support research dissemination activities, including developing presentations, briefs and blog posts on research design and findings
* Represent the IRC’s ERD research priorities at internal and external events, as needed
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Research and Development Technical Advisor
Position directly supervises: N/A
Indirect Reporting: N/A
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Research, Evaluation and Learning (REL) unit, Country office counterparts, and other Technical Units
External: Peer agencies, academic partners, etc.
Education: Undergraduate degree in economics, social sciences, or related field
Work Experience: minimum 3 years of work experience in research on topics related to the humanitarian or development sector. Experience working with complex datasets and managing research projects.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
* High degree of proven organizational and project management skills required, and experience facilitating groups of stakeholders to deliver high quality outputs according to established deadlines
* Demonstrated qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis skills. Knowledge of STATA preferred
* Experience conducting research or managing research projects in humanitarian and/or development settings
* Superior internal and external communication and coordination capabilities and capability to operate independently and as a team member. Excellent writing skills required.
* Experience in or knowledge of cash and/or voucher programs and livelihoods interventions and relevant research preferred
* Experience managing donor funded programs and grants, including budget management, workplans, and reporting, and providing technical input to proposal-budget development efforts
* French proficiency strongly preferred
Language Skills: French highly desirable
Certificates or Licenses: N/A