IPA is looking for a Research Manager to oversee the Cote d’Ivoire office and ongoing research projects, as part of IPA’s Francophone West Africa country program. Current projects include research on savings schemes, education systems and apprenticeship programs, government policy engagement and a large Monitoring & Evaluation project. This position provides a unique opportunity to have important research and management responsibilities by overseeing the project staff as well as the human resources, finance, administration, strategic planning, research study development, and all functions of the office, in collaboration with the Country Director for Francophone West Africa.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA), is an international non-profit research organization with offices in New York, Washington DC, New Haven, CT and worldwide. IPA works with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches to solving development problems, to communicate “what works” in development and to scale up successful projects in a variety of fields, including health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
IPA seeks Research Manager in Cote d’Ivoire to manage and lead IPA’s Cote d’Ivoire office. The RM will work closely with the Francophone West Africa office, the Global Programs team, and key stakeholders to initiate and manage the development of new research projects and oversee ongoing impact evaluations and Monitoring and Evaluation work in a range of sectors, which may include finance and savings, agriculture, health, education, and others. The RM will manage a team of local and international staff, liaise with leading academic researchers, and create new partnerships in Cote d’Ivoire. The RM works closely with the Francophone West Africa office and HQ teams to ensure that effective support is provided to projects, and that projects are working within the relevant policies and procedures. She/he will actively grow IPA’s portfolio in Cote d’Ivoire through strategic partnerships with researchers, donors, policymakers, implementing organizations, and others to develop new research studies.
Ensure high-quality research (40-60%)
- Work closely with project staff to ensure that projects meet all of IPA research and administrative protocols as well as the quality standards of the independent researchers (Principal Investigators)
- Work closely with IPA Right-Fit Evidence unit to implement projects and support NGOs, social businesses, funders and governments to be smarter users of data and evidence
- Oversee project design and budgeting during the proposal stage to ensure evaluations meet IPA standards
- Build systems and structures to build staff capacity and ensure overall data quality, including developing computer-assisted interviewing (CAI) capacity in the office
- Directly supervise project research staff, and help with transitions, on-boarding of new research staff and maintaining institutional memory of project activities
- Promote inter-project best practices and take a lead in sharing best practices with projects through formal and informal trainings
Oversee finances and ensure sound operations of IPA Cote d’Ivoire (20%)
- Manage a team of Research Associates/Coordinators, whose responsibilities include project design and implementation, data collection, data management and analysis, and reports
- Hire and supervise additional support staff, as needed
- Oversee basic administrative tasks related to the management of the Cote d’Ivoire office, create and manage project budgets, participate in grant reporting, and other financial management tasks
- Coordinate closely with the Finance Manager and Country Director based in Burkina Faso to ensure collaborative finance protocols and practices
- Ensure proper compliance with financial procedures, approve expenditures, make accurate projections and ensure overall compliance
Lead Cote d’Ivoire program development and manage external relations (20-40%)
- Build IPA’s presence and portfolio of research studies in Cote d’Ivoire
- Work with Francophone West Africa staff and IPA Global, researchers and partners to initiate and manage the development of new research proposals including both the technical design as well as identifying and applying for funding support
- Identify priority research questions and key concerns for policymakers in Cote d’Ivoire
- Build and manage relationships with current and potential IPA partner organizations in the implementation of interventions whose effect we are researching
- Develop new relationships with researchers, government agencies, local organizations, and others to explore opportunities for collaboration
- Represent IPA at national and regional conferences and events
- Liaise with internationally-based and local Principal Investigators, IPA headquarters and other country programs
- Disseminate results via local and international presentations, reports, and publications
- Lead IPA’s policy impact efforts in Cote d’Ivoire, by ensuring that policy impact plans of Cote d’Ivoire are in strategic alignment with IPA’s overall policy strategy of impact.
Mitigate and manage risks (5-10%)
- Set security standards and parameters for work and ensure that IPA staff follow security measures.
- Monitor security concerns for IPA operations and act as primary contact in crisis management.
- Take steps to mitigate risk and to safeguard the organization’s reputation; and
- Oversee procurement, safety, billing and security and ensure organizational legal compliance.
- Graduate degree in international affairs, international public policy, development economics, business, or field related to international economic development
- At least two years of research or project management experience
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter with a passion for connecting rigorous research to policy makers and practitioners and communicating what works and what does not work in development
- Experience in economics or social science research. Field experience very highly valued.
- Strong client facing and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Experience with budgeting and project planning
- Excellent management and organizational skills and ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
- Passion for rigorous research, evidence based policy making, and communicating what works and what does not work in development;
- Fluency in both French and English is required. Strong oral and written communications skills
- Willingness to travel within Cote d’Ivoire and the region.
- Experience with randomized controlled trials
- Experience with data management, econometrics, and advanced knowledge of Stata (preferred)
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Experience living and working in West Africa
About the Organization
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA designs, rigorously evaluates, and refines these solutions and their applications together with decision-makers to ensure that the evidence created is used to improve opportunities for the world’s poor. Since our founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 350 leading academics to conduct over 450 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.