Job Function: International
Department: Middle East & North Africa
Location: KyrgyzstanResident Director, Kyrgyzstan
NDI seeks a Resident Director to be based in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan to manage and implement democracy assistance programs to promote political party and parliamentary development, constituent relations by national and local elected officials, and political participation through grassroots organization and advocacy as well as citizen oversight by nongovernmental organizations. The Resident Director will serve as NDI’s primary in-country representative to host and donor government officials as well as local partner organizations.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Designs and oversees the implementation of program activities.
- Provides day-to-day leadership, professional development, and management of in-country staff.
- Identifies and maintains collaborative relationships with local partner organizations, representatives of the host government and the diplomatic community, donor institutions, other democratic development organizations, and the media.
- Provides regular written reports on program activities and analysis of related political developments to the DC office.
- Contributes to the planning, design and evaluation of NDI Kyrgyzstan projects in collaboration with local partners, in-house experts and external experts and advisors.
- Oversees and ensures timely and accurate reporting of Bishkek office expenditures on multiple grants, compliance with relevant procurement and personnel regulations, and adherence to registration requirements.
- Undertakes training, advisory and consultative activities for in-country and/or regional programs.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a field of study related to political science, international development, or international affairs;
- Minimum fourteen (14) years substantive political practitioner experience, with particular emphasis in local/national legislatures, issue-based civic advocacy, grassroots organizing, training and leadership development within political parties, election campaigns, or politically active non-governmental organizations, and/or mobilizing historically underrepresented populations;
- Experience in evidence-based program design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation. Previous experience managing USAID- and DfID-funded democratic development programs strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior political and civic leaders as well as members of the donor and diplomatic community;
- Ability to communicate skills and experience to others as a trainer, advisor and consultant;
- Strong personnel management and professional development skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; facility with Russian and/or Turkic languages a plus;
- Familiarity with Google platform and apps, as well as social media and technology innovations to promote communication and participation, are highly desirable;
- Experience in living and working overseas and/or an ability to work in a challenging cross-cultural environment is highly desirable, as is previous experience in former Soviet/Eastern bloc countries.
Please submit cover letter and CV to apply. Interviews will be conducted remotely. Due to volume of applications, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Position is available August 2020, and employment is contingent on USAID approval. Timing of deployment to Bishkek may be affected by covid-19 pandemic. Salary is commensurate with experience. A generous benefits package is provided, including in-country housing allowance. NDI will cover costs associated with one dependent only; tuition allowance is not provided for this post.
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all, NDI bases its employment decisions on merit, qualifications and abilities. NDI is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.