Are you passionate about driving programs focused on foreign assistance? Do you want to be part of an organization that offers meaningful assignments and opportunities to expand your skills and expertise? At Dexis, you will experience a corporate culture of inclusiveness, fairness, and trust. You will be given the means and mentorship needed to succeed, and your creativity will be rewarded.
Background and Objective: USAID is committed to supporting country and regional plans to build resilience to recurrent crises, as articulated in its Building Resilience to Recurrent Crisis Policy (Resilience Policy for short). Through this policy, USAID aims to leverage a broad range of institutional capabilities to strategically coordinate humanitarian response and longer-term development and catalyze transformational change. USAID’s Bureau for Policy, Planning and Learning (PPL) conducts Policy Implementation Assessments (PIAs) five or more years after policy publication and will focus this year on USAID’s Resilience Policy. The assessments aim to look across the entire Agency to examine whether progress has been made in implementing policy goals, to understand successes and challenges, and to make recommendations for the future. PIAs use qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis methods, including key informant interviews (KIIs), surveys, comprehensive document analysis, and field visits to Missions to assess shifts in staff awareness, capacity, strategic planning, and leadership structures.
Team Structure: The assessment will be conducted by a team of researchers, including a Team Lead (TL) and Quantitative Methods Specialist (QMS) based at Dexis, and a subject matter expert (SME) or Resilience Advisor position, for which this posting is recruiting. The team will coordinate closely with staff members in PPL.
Resilience Advisor: Serves as lead SME on resilience; provides high-level technical expertise throughout the assessment, including: review of documents, contribution to deliverables, and support to design and implementation of data collection methods, as well as interpretation of results.
- Provide feedback for finalizing assessment learning questions and workplan.
- Support creation of a desk review instrument for information coding according to identified assessment questions.
- Conduct portions of systematic desk research of USAID planning and secondary documents, including examining the policy document, documents from each of the three levels of the Program Cycle, including: Country Development Cooperation Strategies, Project Appraisal Documents, solicitations, activity work plans, MEL plans, and evaluation reports.
- Finalize qualitative data collection instruments and survey questionnaires.
- Support development of preliminary stakeholder mapping of key resilience stakeholders in the Agency.
- Assist the TL and QMS with conducting semi-structured KIIs and group interviews with stakeholders based around the finalized learning questions.
- Support qualitative data coding and analysis of interview data.
- Contribute to mid-term PowerPoint presentation for USAID.
- Write/contribute to sections of draft assessment report based on the results of the mixed methods analysis.
- Revise sections of the draft assessment report based on feedback and comments from Dexis and USAID for final assessment report.
- Participate in workshops co-facilitated by PPL to share findings and work collaboratively on recommendations.
- An experienced practitioner who has worked at the intersection of development and humanitarian programs:
- Experience with designing both humanitarian and development programs aimed at reducing recurrent crises, including development programs to reduce chronic vulnerability and humanitarian assistance needs or experience with designing humanitarian programs that lay the foundation for longer-term development.
- Familiarity with USAID’s 2012 Resilience Policy or experience with assessments of programs embracing its operational principles, especially related to integrated programming to address multi-dimensional challenges, using a systems lens and building local ownership to sustain results
- Familiarity with USAID’s Program Cycle, especially Project and Activity Design and monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL).
- At least three (3) years of experience working for or with USAID, ideally on resilience programming.
- Demonstrated experience working on a team to conduct research and deliver high quality written and oral products.
- Qualifications corresponding to mid-level or higher (one of the following options):
- PhD and four (4) years work experience
- JD/ABD and five (5) years work experience
- MS/MA/MB and six (6) years work experience
- Other combinations of education and work experience may be accepted.
- Excellent writing skills (writing sample may be required). Minimum of five (5) years technical writing experience.
- Experience assessing and/or evaluating USAID or other donor policies, reforms, and/or programs in headquarters and the field.
- Experience working for USAID, ideally on resilience programming
- Familiarity with other donor efforts on resilience and resilience concepts.
- Experience working collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders.
About the Organization
Are you looking for a company that offers meaningful program assignments and opportunities to develop professional skills and expertise? At Dexis, staff are empowered to be part of the decision-making process and collaborate with colleagues and management across the company to satisfy our clients. We create transparency in our operations with our clients and employees; and we offer our people opportunities to grow and challenge themselves in meaningful ways. Dexis follows a "find a way or make a way" business directive, and we’re paving the way for innovative management solutions in the global development and security assistance arenas worldwide. As a Dexis employee you will be challenged, empowered, and mentored. That’s how Dexis goes "all in.” How will you?
If you are passionate about this opportunity, submit your application by clicking the apply for this job online button.
Only those applicants who meet the above criteria will be contacted for interview.
Dexis is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled or Vietnam Era veteran of the US Armed Forces.