Abt Associates seeks a Resilience Innovations Consultant to provide intermittent support to the anticipated USAID-funded, five-year, Feed the Future Haiti Resilience and Agriculture Sector Advancement Sector Advancement (HRASA) project.
The consultant will be responsible for working with HRASA staff and stakeholders to design initiatives to increase resilience in the project area during the first year of the project. The consultant will be selected in January 2021, with work beginning upon project start-up, anticipated in late 2021.
Context for the consultancy
The goal of the HRASA project is to increase individual, household, and communities’ resilience through strengthened, well-functioning and inclusive markets. The purpose of HRASA is to establish and strengthen a sustainable, inclusive agricultural system that is resilient to shocks and stresses. The project will be implemented in Haiti’s North-Northeast-Central Plateau region and Southern Les Cayes region. The project’s three objectives are:
1. Increased market system efficiency
2. Increased private sector investment and engagement across the market system
3. Increased household and community ability to recover from shocks and stresses
Abt Associates has already developed the framework for several project interventions to increase resilience. The consultant will design a set of new and innovative initiatives to complement these.
The objective of this consultancy is to design a set of resilience initiatives that will allow HRASA stakeholders to test, and if successful, expand use of state-of-the-art risk management tools and resilience building approaches that are tailored to the Haitian context and stakeholders’ needs.
Key responsibilities and tasks
Working in collaboration with project staff, the consultant will:
· Familiarize him/herself with Abt Associates’ technical approach to the project, including its approach to working with stakeholders in each target commune.
· Meet with a few local stakeholders selected by the project and participate, as circumstances allow, in group meetings with local stakeholders, including private sector and commune representatives, where resilience building priorities are discussed.
· Help assess the resilience tools and mechanisms that currently exist among rural households, communities and other stakeholders in regions targeted by HRASA.
· Present to the COP and directors (possibly via a PowerPoint presentation) a selection of potential risk management tools or other resilience-building approaches that could potentially address the needs of HRASA stakeholders and be financially sustainable within a short period of time.
· Based on feedback from the project team, design initiatives that the project could support during its first year.
· Provide guidance in implementing and periodically assessing and refining these initiatives.
· Based on learnings from these initiatives, recommend a second phase of these initiatives, or different initiatives for Year 2 of the project.
· Master’s degree in agriculture, rural development, rural economics, livelihoods, food security, disaster response, risk management, public administration, or other related field.
· Minimum ten years of progressively responsible management experience working in Haiti preferably in an agricultural, livelihoods, or disaster response context of a similar scope and complexity.
· International experience implementing and/or assessing resilience building initiatives, preferably market-led.
· Strong project design skills, preferably related to resilience.
· Familiarity with Haiti preferred.
· Fluency in French or Creole preferred.
Submit a CV to HaitiJobs@abtassoc.com by December 10.