Nathan is a private international economic and analytics consulting firm that works with government and commercial clients around the globe to deliver practical solutions and achieve lasting results. Whether building frameworks for economic growth or navigating regulatory hurdles, securing infrastructure financing or evaluating and assessing disputes, Nathan’s experts serve as trusted partners, offering clients the analysis, technical advice, and strategies they need for sound decision-making. Known for both technical and service excellence, Nathan has corporate offices in the US, UK, and India and more than 25 program offices around the world.
The purpose of the USAID Transparency and Inclusive Growth Activity (TIGA) is to mitigate the economic causes of conflict and inequality in Burma. This newly awarded activity will focus on the economic drivers of conflict, including the distribution of natural resource wealth and the related spatial, ethnic, and religious inequalities that reinforce long standing political grievances and undermine inclusive economic growth in the country.
The selected candidate will lead the key activity area: Equitable and Transparent Management of Shared Resources. This area works with reformers to create and implement interventions that result in more equitable and transparent management of shared resources such as public finances and natural resource wealth. This will also include promoting equitable distribution of fiscal resources. Goals include, but are not limited to, increased transparency and accountability over the management of natural resource wealth, the distribution and management of natural and fiscal resources leads to reduced conflicts, and improved management of natural resource investments reduces the flow of funds to armed groups.
The selected candidate will begin immediately and the position is located in Yangon, Burma. This position reports directly to the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP).
The role of the Resource Management Lead is to develop and manage an effective program that addresses the challenges facing the natural and financial resource sector in Myanmar. The Resource Management Lead will be both the technical expert and manager of this component’s activities. S/he will also be the primary liaison with stakeholders in the sector. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Design and lead activities under Equitable and Transparent Management of Shared Resources Area, managing technical activities and counterpart interactions, and ensure effective coordination with all elements of the Activity’s work;
- Work directly with resource stakeholders, including private companies, business associations, local communities, CSOs, policy institutes, and concerned government agencies at all levels, from local communities to the Union level;
- Work closely with the DCOP and resource partner to compile and analyze resources data and to design and implement interventions to improve the equitability and efficiency of managing shared resources.
- Demonstrated experience leading interventions to improve transparency and management of shared resources – both natural and fiscal resources.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in key subject matter areas including transparent fiscal resource management, shared natural resource wealth such as timber, gems, or other extractive resources.
- Deep understanding of local content issues and the ability to foster community involvement in natural resource management decision-making.
- Experience working with Extractives Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) processes, especially in Burma, desirable.
- Previous experience conducting technical oversight of grants.
- 3 years of relevant professional experience
- Strong English writing and speaking skills required.
- Preference for a Burmese citizen with Burmese language skills, but other candidates will be considered
About the Organization
Nathan is a private international economic and analytics consulting firm that works with government and commercial clients around the globe to deliver practical solutions and achieve lasting results. Whether building frameworks for economic growth or navigating regulatory hurdles, securing infrastructure financing or evaluating and assessing disputes, Nathan’s experts serve as trusted partners, offering clients the analysis, technical advice, and strategies they need for sound decision-making. Known for both technical and service excellence and with corporate offices in the US, London, and India and more than 40 program offices around the world, we offer the following five areas of expertise, honed since we opened our doors in 1946:
- International Development
- Infrastructure, Project Development & Finance
- Economic & Regulatory Consulting
- Litigation & Expert Services
- Advisory Services
For a close view of the company’s international and domestic projects please visit our related project listings and our international project websites http://www.nathaninc.com/services