The Evaluator is being engaged to undertake an evaluation of the performance of the National Adaptation Plan Global Network (NAP GN). Launched in December 2014, the NAP GN works to enhance NAP processes in developing countries by supporting peer-to-peer learning, national-level action on NAP development and implementation, and enhanced adaptation-relevant bilateral support. A multi-donor initiative, financing for the NAP GN has been received from the Governments of Austria, Canada, Germany, and the United States. The evaluation will focus solely on components of the NAP GN financed by the US Department of State (USDS) since September 2015. Activities financed solely by the governments of Canada, Germany and/or Austria will not be evaluated. Financial support for the NAP GN from the USDS will end in September 2020. As part of the performance evaluation, the Evaluator will assess the extent to which the NAP GN has assisted developing countries to advance the development and implementation of their NAP processes. The evaluation will therefore examine:
- The extent to which the NAP GN has achieved the goals, objectives and targets set out in its grant agreement.
- The effectiveness of the Network’s different areas of activity relative to the investment provided by the USDS.
- Factors that have led to the successes and/or failures of the project. As the Network’s activities will continue after funding from the USDS has ended, the evaluation also is expected to inform its future strategic direction, programming and structure.
The evaluation is expected to be informed by a combination of desk-based document review, interviews with key informants, and field visits. It will take into consideration the perspectives of:
- Representatives of the USDS.
- Members of the NAP GN’s Management Committee.
- Representatives of developing countries who have engaged with the Network to differing extents.
- Representatives of the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD), which serves as Secretariat for the NAP GN.
About the Organization
The National Adaptation Plan Global Network (NAP GN) is a multi-funder initiative that was established in 2014 to enhance climate adaptation planning processes in developing countries through coordination of bilateral support and in-country actors. Participants of the Network come from more than 135 countries and are primarily adaptation practitioners working on National Adaptation Plan (NAP) processes. The NAP Global Network helps advance NAP processes by providing support through three main areas of work—facilitating peer learning and exchange, supporting national-level action on NAP development and implementation, and enhancing adaptation-relevant bilateral support. The NAP GN Secretariat is hosted by the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD).