Devex is assisting the World Food Programme (WFP) in looking for talented Risk & Compliance Advisors at a P4 level to join the Future International Talent Pool (FIT Pool).
Risk & Compliance Advisors will be part of a dynamic team that guides the rollout and implementation of Enterprise Risk Management across the organization.
In this role, you will provide advice and make recommendations to establish effective risk assessment and risk management activities; ensure the application of controls and compliance with policies and procedures; and contribute to the overall effectiveness of operations and optimization of WFP resources by championing the mainstreaming of WFP’s risk and compliance framework.
You should be a creative problem-solver that works well with clients from across the organization. Your combination of strong conceptual, writing and analytical skills should be important as well as your aptitude for collaboration, communication and presentation. You should be comfortable in developing and delivering learning materials and trainings. You should have solid operational field-based experience that includes risk management practices.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
ABOUT THE FIT POOL
The Future International Talent Pool (FIT Pool) is an excellent opportunity for an international professional career within WFP. WFP is looking to build a pool of highly qualified and dynamic talents interested in serving in any of the +80 countries where WFP operates. Qualifying for the Risk and Compliance FIT Pool gives you priority to be considered for vacant Fixed Term positions anywhere in the world and consequently to commence your global journey in the humanitarian world, often at the forefront of world affairs. For more information visit: http://www1.wfp.org/fit-pool
As a Risk and Compliance Advisor, you will:
- Ensure risk assessment is embedded in planning and decision making through monitoring of key risk appetite metrics and risk indicators, and regular updating of risk registers, including progress towards implementing the risk mitigation actions.
- Provide specialised advice to RB and CO management and staff on risk & compliance issues and on maintaining an effective internal control environment to support operational efficiency.
- Provide assistance and advice to ensure that the use of all WFP resources is in conformity with approved CO strategic plans/project plans, WFP rules and procedures, and donor funding agreements.
- Provide advice and promote enhancement and/or initiate establishment of adequate internal control systems with clear accountabilities including performance and risk management systems, monitoring and oversight processes and support their implementation.
- Develop and/or contribute to the development of compliance Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) by 1st Line of Defense colleagues for managing the risk and compliance process, including criteria for conducting risk and compliance missions, training materials and modules, etc. following the international best practices.
- Facilitate periodic and ad hoc risk assessments led by relevant managers in regional, country and field offices to: identify and assess risks, evaluate effectiveness of the internal controls, assess the potential for fraud and corruption in operational activities. Recommend appropriate actions to the relevant units or management level, and contribute to corporate learning.
- Review and challenge risk management effectiveness across the office and all aspects of WFP’s operations.
- Support managers in their fact finding reviews and fraud risk assessments. Collect and analyse data on fraud incidents, fraud risk metrics, and fraud risk appetite, provide training in Anti-Fraud Anti-Corruption (AFAC) standards.
- Promote accountability across functional units, prepare comprehensive reports summarising the status of compliance of internal controls, key oversight themes, and using risk information (e.g. risk indicators, incidents) to highlight areas out of risk appetite and formulate sound recommendations on required actions in areas of risk & compliance vulnerability.
- Support managers in analysing, preparing and sharing risk information with external stakeholders to contribute to UN system-wide engagement and collaboration with donors and partners
- Assess information/training needs and prepare and deliver training programmes or information sessions for colleagues and partners in RB or CO to enhance understanding of risk management and compliance with WFP policies, rules, regulations and procedures.
- Provide guidance, support and technical advice to Risk and Compliance Advisors/Officers in the region/country ensuring effective capacity building.
- Demonstrate leadership and functional skills by effectively leading a team and building staff capabilities for high performance results.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Other duties, as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- You have an advanced university degree, or first university degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses.
- You have at least eight (8) years of relevant progressively responsible experience in leading, undertaking and/or contributing to risk management and control activities.
- You have Intermediate knowledge of an official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages).
- You are able and motivated to work in any of WFP’s Offices throughout the world, including hardship locations.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- You have international working experience (e.g. you worked outside of your home country and/or in international organizations/firms)
- You have experience in assessing and recommending effective internal controls and mitigation actions.
- You have led monitoring and reporting activities, demonstrating knowledge of results hierarchy, performance metrics and measurement.
- You have led training sessions.
- You have developed training material.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Building the pool is a comprehensive process and it will take approximately 8 months. The recruitment steps are an Online Test > Video Interview > Language Test > Panel Interview > Background Verification.
If you are selected, you will be placed in the FIT Pool for a period of up to 2 years. You may be contacted as the needs arise for fixed-term international positions with a probationary period of one year in any of the countries in which WFP operates, including hardship duty stations.
Mobility is the essence of WFP and continues to be a core contractual requirement. These positions are rotational which means that you shall be subject to the regular reassignment process to any other location on a period of 2 to 4 years unless the position is reclassified as non-rotational.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more information, visit https://icsc.un.org/
About the Organization
Devex is the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence and funding & career opportunities so you can do more good for more people.
An international organization founded at the Harvard Kennedy School, Devex is headquartered in Washington, DC, and has offices in Barcelona, and Manila, and reporters around the world. Our diverse global team includes 100 web-savvy journalists, analysts, developers, designers, and marketers. Devexers live our mission, and bring their top-notch academic and professional credentials to work every day to change the world. Get to know us better by checking out our tumblr page.