The British Council is seeking expressions of interest from experienced school enrolment experts for a major EU-funded programme, which is focused on improving the quality and equality of the primary and secondary education systems in Iraq through capacity building at ministry and school level. The programme’s main objectives include:
- increasing enrolment rates by analysing the main causes of low enrolment and developing strategies to address the differential rates
- raising the quality of education at primary and secondary school level by building capacity to enhance the curriculum, particularly in the areas of human science and peace education, and to support children with particular needs, including those with disabilities, children with special needs, Internally Displaced People (IDPs), refugees, and children with psychosocial support requirements, potentially including Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- increasing access to education for children with disabilities through the collection of baseline data, updating legislation and the curriculum, capacity building and awareness-raising
- raising the quality of education through enhanced quality assurance of schools against standards.
About the role
Research has been undertaken under the first objective to examine the causes of drop out, the effect of current policies and legislation, their implementation on enrolment and the completion of students at school. We are looking for experts, either individuals or part of an institutional team, who can work with national experts to:
- further analyse the effect on enrolment of current government policies and legislation and their implementation
- make recommendations on possible strategies to improve enrolment, based on this analysis
- work with the Iraqi authorities to develop strategies in the area of policy and legislation to improve enrolment and to design plans for their implementation: some of these may fall under the scope of the project whilst others will primarily be the responsibility of government and the relevant ministries to implement
- design activities that will encourage enrolment and reduce drop-out, based on research already undertaken.
Location: Home-based with occasional travel to the region. Workshops will be held in Erbil, Kurdistan and possibly Beirut
Start date: May 2018
End date: May 2020
Qualifications and experience required
Interested candidates should have the following qualifications, skills and professional experience:
- Experience of working with senior government staff to review government policy and legislation related to enrolment, and using the results to inform strategy, legislation, policy formulation and implementation
- Master’s degree in a related field or at least five years of professional experience in a relevant context of education policy design and reform, including reviewing policy, designing strategy, and supporting the development and implementation of national action plans, with a focus on enrolment
- More than five years’ experience of working within large-scale programmes in the area of education reform
- Stakeholder relationship management skills, including evidence of leading work with government ministries in developing or emerging countries to develop and implement strategy around enrolment
- Proven track record of providing technical assistance and capacity building on at least one donor funded programme in developing countries in the area of education reform
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a proven ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent writing and analytical skills, combining a high degree of competence in writing technical reports.
How to apply
- Experience in and/or understanding of the Middle East and North Africa, with proven knowledge of the challenges facing the education system in Iraq an advantage
- Excellent and effective (verbal and written) communication skills in Arabic.
Applications should include:
- a cover letter tailored to the above requirements
- a CV
- expected fee (cost will be a consideration in appointment of a consultant).
Please send the above to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title ‘Short-Term Expert for School Enrolment’ as the subject line.
CVs will be pre-selected according to the criteria listed above. We will only contact those candidates whose profiles correspond most closely with the person specification and only within five working days of the application deadline.