NGO Secretariat Coordinator
Juba,South Sudan with potential field visits
Secretariat Office, Tearfund Compound
NGO Steering Committee Chair
The South Sudan NGO Secretariat coordinates the efforts of the NGO Steering Committee as voted representatives of the South Sudan NGO Forum, which currently includes over 140 international member agencies and over 90 national member agencies. The NGO Secretariat exists for the purpose of: coordination, information sharing, advocacy, policy/position paper production, government/donor/UN engagement and engagement on other vital issues regarding humanitarian relief, recovery and development.
The NGO Secretariat Coordinator is responsible for facilitating coordination through various NGO and National NGO fora; ensuring effective information sharing and briefing on emerging issues with the NGO Steering Committee, the broader NGO community and external stakeholders; representing and advocating agreed interests of the NGO community in external meetings, all in collaboration with and oversight of the Steering Committee. The NGO Secretariat Coordinator is also responsible for the general management of the NGO Secretariat.
The NGO Secretariat Coordinator supports the work of the NGO Forum through the following key tasks:
Programme Quality and Management:
- Strategic and day to day management of NGO Secretariat staff, office and budget
- Ensuring timely donor reporting
- Acting as focal point for information/experience sharing with and among NGOs on relevant issues including managing NGO Forum andNGOSCmembership, contact lists and mailing lists
- Maintain a thorough understanding and develop messaging on operational constraints and policy related issues affecting NGOs
- Provide a conduit for the UN, GoSS, donor representatives and other stakeholders to communicate and coordinate with NGOs
- Participate in important policy and planning processes such as the UNDAF Technical Working Groups, UN Work Plan, Humanitarian Contingency Planning, CAP workshops and GoSS Sector Working Groups, etc.
- Policy analysis and information primarily supporting the Senior Policy Advisor, Policy Focal Point and other focal points in consulting on and drafting common NGO position/policy papers on key issues
- Along with the NGO Steering Committee Chair and members, represent the NGO community at high-level fora including UN forums, multi-Donor meetings and other representative bodies as required.
- Advocate in relation to the development and adoption of NGO legislation and follow-up implementation
- Increase and enhance engagement of and input from national NGOs
Coordination and Communication:
- Ensure transparent coordination mechanisms and regular information-sharing between NGOs and other stakeholders.
- Schedule NGO Forum meetings and NGO Forum Steering Committee meetings, draft agendas, invite external speakers and follow up on relevant action points
- Ensure Steering Committee and Secretariat representation in the Working Groups: Policy, HR, GoSS Engagement and Security Management
- Along with the NGO Steering Committee Chair and members, represent the NGO Forum at key meetings with Donors, UN and GoSS and ensure the dissemination of written feedback
- Encourage active and open dialogue between the NGO Secretariat, NGO Steering Committee and NGO Forum
- Coordinate visits of advocacy groups, researchers, donors, partners, etc.
- Ensure the research, documentation and sharing of lessons learned/best practices and actively share information with other national NGO coordination platforms
- Identify gaps in research and analysis that could be used by large numbers of the membership and hire and manage consultants as needed to assist with and complement this task
- Create feedback mechanisms, open learning channels, support pilot efforts for knowledge management, and ensure information flow
- Together with other Secretariat staff, liaise with the Health Forum, Sector Working Groups and Clusters, ensuring key messages are shared and activities and advocacy messages are coordinated and consistent
- Work to ensure effective collaboration between International and National NGOs
- Support the National NGO Focal Point in building national NGO engagement in state/county level planning and coordination
- Provide an accessible first point of contact for general inquiries regarding the work of NGOs in South Sudan
- Liaise with NGO coordination platforms in neighbouring countries in the region
- Provide information, briefings, presentations on the function and structure of the NGO Forum, best practices and lessons learned to other global consortiums or national coordination platforms on request
- Maintain strong partner relations and engage in the identification of new potential NNGO partners
- Maintain and/or develop productive relationships with key individuals in relevant government ministries, civil society, counterpart institutions and NGOs, foreign and local NGO community, UN Missions, Diplomatic Corps, other donors, etc.
- Work to ensure a smooth working relationship between secretariat and the host organisation, updating the Steering Committee chairperson on issues that can affect/burden of the host organisation and its team
Human Resource Management:
- Provide leadership and direction, promote professional working relationships, and encourage staff
- Lead regular internal coordination meetings and ensure staff support
- Conduct regular performance appraisals identifying capacity building needs and further career objectives; follow-up, and maintain updated job descriptions
- Identify and resolve staff conflicts and concerns in a timely manner
- Minimum five years of progressive international experience working with UN, NGOs and/or Donor agencies preferably with experience in post-conflict contexts
- Tertiary undergraduate/postgraduate qualifications in international relations, political science, development or other relevant field
- Demonstrated coordination experience in multi-agency forums
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills
- Documented skills in developing proposals, budgets and reports
- Significant experience in the development of advocacy, policy and key messaging documents
- Strong understanding of the UN system, integrated missions, the Humanitarian Reform and principles of the Transformative Agenda
- Significant understanding of complex emergencies and crisis contexts
- Proven communication, public speaking, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Previous work experience in South Sudan is preferred
- Above average computer literacy
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required
- Holder of a valid international driver’s licence