The USAID-funded Integrated Health Programs for the DRC (IHP-DRC) supports USAID’s strategy on Health Systems Strengthening in the DRC. USAID seeks to strengthen the capacity of Congolese institutions and communities to deliver quality, integrated health services to sustainably improve the health status of the Congolese population.
In coordination with the Chief of Party, Director of Finance and Administration (DFA), Abt’s Global Security Office, and project security management teams, the Security Director (SD) will lead a comprehensive security management system. Further, s/he will ensure alignment with Abt polices and practice related to the safety and security of staff and assets in the DRC.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and supervise security planning and operations to facilitate the achievement of program goals.
- Establish a Security Management Team (SMT) consisting of senior field officers that will work closely with and depend heavily on the counsel and guidance of the SD.
- Participate in formal and informal security collaboration networks to collect information and inform Abt operational decisions.
- Develop and maintain plans and protocols relating to personnel safety and the management of security programs and policies to include security management plans, risk assessments, incident and crisis response plans, and pre- and post-arrival security briefings.
- Develop detailed plans to address ground and air alternatives for evacuation, relocation, and hibernation of designated personnel.
- Develop detailed Post Orders for guards assigned at all offices and coordinate Post Orders, as appropriate with security personnel provided by residential landlords.
- Oversee guard force conduct and discipline at all facilities and act as a liaison with all guard service providers.
- Manage and oversee a comprehensive personnel training program to include initial security and refresher training in relevant security topics which may include: security awareness, hostile environment training, travel security awareness, fire safety and first aid.
- Collaborate with the Transportation Manager to select a local hire-car service provider.
- Maintain a comprehensive travel management program. Incorporate the utilization of satellite phones and GPS tracking to ensure personnel accountability and emergency communications.
- Conduct security reviews, internal self-assessments, and audits of all program personnel safety, asset security, and prepare and present a monthly report to Security Management Team(s) and the Global Security Office.
- Establish Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QA/QC) plans and mechanisms to ensure that all security policies and protocols are being consistently applied and observed across all project offices by all Abt personnel assigned or traveling in the DRC.
- Through direct assessment and/or investigation through the in-country safety and security network, prepare a recommendation list for hotels and other lodging places, and venue locations for project use. The SD will be responsible for preparing this hotel and venue recommendation list and updating it at least on a quarterly basis. The SD, in coordination with the designated operations and safety manager for each office will also be responsible for checking and ensuring that each lodging and/or venue location reservation made, from the list of recommended places as discussed above, remains safe and suitable.
- Review and assess the housing arrangements for all expat/TCN staff from a safety and security standpoint, and make recommendations to the Security Management Teams and Abt’s Global Security Office. Expat/TCN housing must be reviewed at least on a quarterly basis, or anytime there is a “material change” in the safety and security conditions of the locations. All recommendations must be submitted to the project security management teams and the Global Security Office.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelors degree or equivalent with 10 years of relevant experience in the security field OR training, experience, and success in positions with similar complexity and scope.
- Knowledge of and previous working experience with USAID preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise security staff and security initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely, and lead presentations, training courses, and effective meetings in French and English.
- Experience living or working in francophone African countries.
- Experience in the DRC highly desirable.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated independent thinking, judgment, and respect for others.
- Fluency in English and excellent verbal communication and writing skills in French.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com