Chemonics seeks a security director for the $47 million to $49 million USAID-funded Accelerated Quality Learning for Somali Children and Youth project. This five-year project’s purpose is to increase access to high-quality education for out-of-school children and youth between ages 8 and 15 in targeted regions of Somalia. The project will increase enrollment in accelerated education programs, enhance accelerated education programs’ learning environments, and improve student learning outcomes in accelerated education programs. The security director will be based in Somalia. This position requires high performance in the areas of information collection and analysis, networking, incident management, risk analysis, and personnel management. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to all project-related personnel, ensuring they are directly tied to the work of the project
- Develop the professional competencies and capabilities of security subcontractors
- Establish strong working relationships with local and international organizations and entities, including various official and semi-official security forces in Somalia
- Provide strategic advice, guidance, and directives to ensure that the field offices establish best practices in safety and security protocols along with pragmatic verbal risk assessments, supporting the development of tactical plans for the conduct of secured movement and making sure that venues meet risk management requirements
- Ten years of experience in security, crisis management, and research and analysis, including managing other security personnel and leading a multidisciplinary team under challenging circumstances
- Experience in remote programming support and low-visibility approaches to security platforms preferred
- Strong understanding of the security situation in Somalia; experience in Somalia strongly preferred
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with project stakeholders, the security community, international community, local formal and informal power structures, and other local actors
- Familiarity with tracking systems preferred
- Proficient in acceptance-based risk mitigation strategies and experience training national staff and other relevant stakeholders in these strategies
- Experience living and working in high-risk security environments
- Demonstrated leadership, integrity, and versatility
- English fluency required
Please submit your application by December 12 through this link or by going to https://chemonicsesaf.formstack.com/forms/sne_security.
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.