Senior Advisor for Governance
- London based, permanent role
- Seeking technical expertise in Governance to expand our Global Development Practice
- Values-driven, global organisation specialising in the international development sector
Abt Associates a mission-driven, global leader with a proven track record in complex program implementation in the international development sector. We offer bold solutions and technical excellence in Health, Economic Growth, Governance, Research & Evaluation, Environment & Energy, Gender Equality & Social Inclusion. Working with our many partners, we have driven measurable social impact for more than 55 years, to achieve our mission of improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide. We operate in remote and challenging environments and employ more than 3,700 staff in over 50 countries.
Abt Britain is pursuing an ambitious growth strategy and has been awarded contracts exceeding GBP 32 million in the past 12 months alone, delivering projects across sub-Saharan Africa, Eastern Europe, South Asia, and South America. We aim to build a market leadership position in the UK, deepening relationships with the Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office as well as pursuing development and social impact projects for a diverse range of government, foundations, private and multilateral clients. We are expanding our Global Development Practice with investment in key technical roles across Governance, Health, Economic Growth and Climate, to provide deep technical expertise across projects and proposals for various donors globally.
The Senior Adviser for Governance will work closely with the Abt Britain Managing Director and the Head of Technical Delivery and Growth Strategy, responsible for:
- Strategy: developing and delivering a strategy for the company to be a leader in governance technical excellence in its UK/European overseas work;
- Growth: to grow Abt Britain’s portfolio of governance-related projects from a technical perspective in close collaboration with the UK business development lead;
- Technical advice: deliver on consulting tasks and provide outputs for key governance programme or project;
- Thought leadership: lead or oversee a pipeline of reputational capital and thought leadership products in different aspects of governance.
This is a lead technical position preferably based in London, which requires an individual who can identify and analyse emerging governance, political and institutional trends and implications for policy and practice; as well as establish and maintain strong networks with key stakeholders (donors, governments, civil society, academia, private sector) and represent Abt Associates in external forums on governance-related issues. It is anticipated that this role will have staff management responsibilities as the company’s work in governance expands.
We are seeking an individual for this strategic position who will bring:
- Recognised global or regional expertise in governance areas, from policy analysis through to program design, implementation and evaluation and review;
- Specific skills in at least three of the following areas: subnational governance, decentralisation and community-driven development; public sector management and reform, including public financial management, anti-corruption, and public procurement; service delivery; conflict resolution and peacebuilding; democracy, elections and open societies; climate governance would be an advantage;
- Demonstrated experience applying cross-cutting governance approaches (e.g. adaptive management, thinking and working politically, and political economy analysis) to other sector programmes (e.g. health, climate change, economic growth, etc.);
- A range of networks across the UK, Africa, Eastern Europe, Central Asia and South Asia (donors, delivery partners, governments and other national and international actors);
- Ability and willingness for international travel with UK working rights.
Further Information & How to Apply
Refer to the ‘Position Description’ link to view full details and key requirements for this opportunity on the job advert page of the Abt Associates website or the ‘More Information’ link below.
Please submit your application online via the Careers Page of the Abt Associates website, including your CV and cover letter addressing how you meet the requirements of this role.
We welcome and thank all applicants however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: Wednesday, 3 February 2021 – midnight (AEST)
Abt Associates values individuality and celebrates difference with a strong commitment to diversity, equality, gender and racial equity and disability inclusion; we encourage applications from diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are deeply committed to safeguarding, to protect and prevent harm and abuse to individuals we work for and who work for us. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
We will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, child abuse, sexual abuse or exploitation in any form, and expect everyone to be treated with respect and dignity.
For more information about us and what we do, visit our website at www.abtassociates.com