Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status. Sustainable reductions in child and maternal mortality cannot be achieved without investments to strengthen the health system. Investment in HSS will help: 1) increase Mali’s self-reliance in being able to plan, finance, and manage its own health services and health system; 2) protect citizens from financial hardship by improving health system financing and developing a system to protect people from the financial consequences of ill-health and shocks; 3) achieve equitable coverage of quality health services by people who are poor, underserved, marginalized, and vulnerable; 4) improve coverage through the availability and utilization of high-quality health services by all those who need it; and 5) build a responsive health system that ensures dignity, confidentiality, autonomy, quality, and timeliness of services for poor and marginalized people, including those living in conflict zones and other hard-to-reach areas
The Senior Advisor, HMIS is a full-time position for an upcoming award in Mali funded by USAID focused on Health Systems Strengthening, Governance and Financing This position is contingent upon funding and donor approval.
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party
Duration: 5 years
Location: Bamako, Mali
- Oversees efforts to assess and strengthen the collection, quality and use of data at the community level by community health workers as well as ASACOs and other community groups monitoring health service delivery and commodities in their communities.
- Works with management and partner organizations to implement practices to improve data quality which are specific and appropriate to each government level or cadre (e.g. community health workers, health care providers at government and private sector facilities, district staff, regional staff).
- Devises strategies to improve data quality through the use of paper and electronic tools, data quality assessments, data quality improvement plans, etc.
- Liaises with relevant offices in the Ministry of Health and at partner organizations responsible for the implementation of DHIS2, iHRIS and LMIS/OSPSANTE to facilitate processes to develop a high-level architecture and data integration plan across systems.
- Gains thorough understanding of relevant data and indicators so as to develop plans for their inclusion in reviews of routine health system data from the community through the national level. Makes appropriate contributions to development of these systems by participating in TWGs and other relevant opportunities.
- Analyzes laws and policies related to health data reporting by private providers and facilities. Disseminates findings and collaborates with stakeholders in the government and private sector to update laws and policies.
- Facilitates the development of laws and policies for reporting by private providers through innovative strategies for information dissemination, training, enforcement, incentivizing reporting and providing feedback.
- Ensures all project initiatives comply with national standards and policies (e.g. in regard to indicators, data exchange standards; hardware and software).
- Manages the selection, provision and maintenance of technology that complies with national guidelines and is appropriate for intended users.
- Collaborates in determining priorities and deliverables, monitoring service levels and evaluating against success measures, and making presentations to management (internal and client organizations);
- Responsible to implement effective policies, practices and training to ensure the security and integrity of data at all levels of the system and to ensure client confidentiality.
- Drives improvements in development processes and identifies project issues and facilitates resolution.
* BS or MS in Computer Science or Informational Systems with strong preference for Health Information Systems (HIS) experience
* Demonstrated ability to develop system requirements and accurately estimate required resources., including proven background in large scale infrastructure design and management; strong computer programming skills in large health informatics environments
* Experience working with Health Programs including HMIS, including implementing DHIS2 at community and sub-national levels
* Knowledge and experience in facilitating and managing data and systems integration processes
* Superior knowledge of project management principles to manage projects and work with multi-disciplinary teams including a broad and extensive knowledge of Principles for Digital Development and Digital Health Global Goods with relevant methods and techniques and analytical skills
* Experience working with and analyzing complex data systems and providing innovative solutions
* At least 5 years’ experience in computerized database management, health informatics solutions
* Direct experience leading technical teams is highly desired
* Ability to achieve consensus among senior stakeholders in the public and private sectors and operational and budget management experience a plus
* Excellent written and verbal skills in French are required to communicate technical information to audiences with varying levels of technical expertise as referenced above. Proficiency in English preferred.