SNV Netherlands Development Organisation is an International Development Organization providing capacity strengthening to local organizations (private, public or NGO) engaged in work for poverty reduction. In particular, we seek impact in: improvement of revenues, employment and production; better access to basic services (Water Sanitation and Hygiene and Renewable Energies). In all our work, special attention is given to issues of governance, gender and inclusion. Our Advisors combine technical competencies with the ability to facilitate change. In this context, SNV Cameroon is looking for a Local Senior Advisor in Agriculture for our Maroua Office.
- Lead the implementation of our Organisational Strategy by contributing to value chain analysis and development with significant impact in livelihoods improvement in selected sub-sectors: Pastoral livestock, Non Timber Forest Products and other selected agriculture crops.
- Identify key stakeholders, actors and Local Capacity Builders (LCB) in value chain and support initiatives to establish market linkages, networks and partnerships between them
- Identify the areas of support that would maximise local added value and creation of income and employment opportunities in the Agriculture sector in Cameroon;
- Identify areas with Inclusive Business potential to establish market linkages, networks and win-win partnerships between small local stakeholders and large or international business
- Identify and analyse national and international market opportunities for our clients
- Initiate and contribute to national activities within the agriculture sector ;
- Actively explore new markets – opportunities for resource mobilization – product - client combinations;
- Contribution to the implementation of the ongoing initiatives with Fair Trade Labelling Organisation etc..
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field (Agriculture, natural resources, economics, etc.);
- Work experience: Minimum of 8 years of relevant working experience in a developing country, preferably in Africa;
- Proven track record of working in pro-poor growth approaches taking into consideration social inclusion and gender, sustainability and governance related issues in a development context;
- Strong (state of the art) knowledge of the agriculture sector in Cameroon;
- Proven knowledge on value chain approach and implementation in the agriculture sector
- Proven track record in capacity building, process facilitation, sector development and resource mobilization;
- Knowledge of and experience with participatory techniques, coaching, networking, learning, alliance building and team building;
- Broad experience in capacity building, facilitation of multi-stakeholder processes, product development, organisational learning, change processes, and strategy formulation;
- Leadership, entrepreneurship and coaching and self-reflection skills;
- Good team player, pragmatic and patient negotiator with solution orientated approach.
- Readiness to work and travel in rural districts with minimal amenities;
- Computer literacy in MS Office and Internet use
- Excellent listening skills combined with oral and written communication skills (in both English and French);