Are you interested in joining an organisation with a long term commitment to fighting poverty? Would you like to work in a challenging environment and develop an international career focused on demonstrating shared core values that achieve results?
SNV Niger is looking for a:
Senior Advisor (level III) Renewable Energy
Based in Niamey, Niger
SNV is a Dutch based international Development Organisation that provides Capacity Development Services to local institutions and organizations in more than 30 developing countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America and Eastern Europe.
Present in Niger since 1978, SNV is committed to the reduction of poverty, and works to achieve this in line with national poverty reduction strategies.
Access to modern renewable energy (RE) equipment not only helps eradicate extreme poverty and improve the environment and living conditions, it also reduces the disparity between men and women. Social services (hospitals and schools) and businesses can only operate efficiently if they have access to modern energy. At rural off grid location renewable energy can therein play a vital role. It is nowadays fully recognized that access to affordable and sustainable energy products and services is necessary for the fulfillment of most development objectives.
The overall goal of SNV Niger is to contribute to improve the livelihoods of the rural and peri-urban poor in Niger by accelerating the dissemination of renewable energy products and services for the poor in particular at rural off grid areas. SNV Niger has decided to focalize its activities on two sectors: improved cook stoves and rural off grid photovoltaic electrification.
In this context, SNV has recently chosen to extend its advisory team and is seeking a level III (senior level) international advisor in Renewable Energy.
- Take up the role of country sector leader for RE, and contribute to knowledge brokering, development and dissemination
- Be a lead player in RE country strategy formulation and actualization, resulting in the right strategic choices for SNV within the RE sector
- Represent SNV RE sector in the SNV WCA RE regional network and participate in and contribute to other relevant SNV networks
- Ensure up to date contextual analysis of the renewable energy sector, identifying potentials opportunities, barriers and threats
- Being in charge of developing, guiding and operationalization of the Solar Energy program of SNV Niger
- Support the operational management of the ICS (Improved Cook Stoves Program)
- Lead RE assignments and act as account manager (lead advisor) for larger RE client constellations
- Introduce and assist with the operationalization of the value chain development and multi stakeholder approach in RE sector in Niger
- Assist partners and clients in developing business like and self-help promotion methodology and strategies
- Support partners with networking and in building a RE knowledge system
- Stimulate mainstreaming of Governance for Empowerment (GfE) in RE strategies and assignments
- Identify Local Capacity builders and provide on-the-job technical support, training and coaching
- Together with the clients and the team evaluate and document results and assist in publication
- Support SNV’s management and business Teams in partnership building and mobilization of resources
- Lead the development of project proposals.
- Master’s degree in Renewable energy or in Management of renewable energy or Master’s degree in Economy with specialization in Renewable energy or experience in RE development;
- Ten to twelve years of experience in related market development/social enterprise development/venture capital or investing in developing country markets related to the energy sector, preferable renewables.
- Proven track record in capacity building, Experience in micro and medium size enterprise development and insight into problems and constraints in stimulating private-public partnerships.
- Demonstrated track record of consulting (business development) to or working directly on social impact and profit making enterprises or projects.
- Experience in networking, alliance building and facilitation of multi-stakeholder processes, product development, organisational learning, institutional change processes, and project proposal formulation.
- Experience in strategy development and execution.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in international settings ranging from high-level diplomatic to corporate and grass-roots / field settings.
- Five years plus experience working in a developing country market preferred.
- Strong applied analytic skills required.
- Experience in one of the technical areas required – economic development, energy or climate.
Contract Duration: 2 years with possibility of extension
Desired start date: ASAP
Description of duty station
Medical facilities: Regional Standard
Educational facilities: International standard from pre-primary to University; (American and French International Schools up to high-school level)
Security situation: Good in most of the country
Accessibility: International airport with daily international flights. Good road network linking with other countries in the West African sub-region
Communication: Good telephone, e-mail and internet facilities
How to apply?
Please send your application letter and CV in English together with an indication of your current salary and compensation package to email@example.com before 14 March 2012 with reference number NE 2553.
More information about SNV
SNV is a non-profit international development organisation established in the Netherlands in 1965. For over 40 years, SNV has been at the forefront of development, helping to build local capacity and empower local families and communities to break the cycle of poverty. We are present on the ground in 36 developing countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Balkans and operate in Agriculture, Renewable Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Our 900 advisors in the field come from a variety of cultural and technical backgrounds, and over 60 per cent are nationals of the countries where we work.
For more information, please refer to our website: www.snvworld.org
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.