Chemonics seeks a senior advisor on building conservation constituency for USAID Build Indonesia to Take Care of Nature for Sustainability (BIJAK). USAID BIJAK is a five-year project, running from 2016 to 2021, designed to promote enduring changes in individual and organizational behaviors that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and conserve valuable marine and terrestrial biodiversity. BIJAK will work at the national level with a range of stakeholders to improve the management of forests and conservation areas and strengthen protections for marine and terrestrial wildlife threatened by illegal or unsustainable trade. To facilitate and support change, BIJAK will work with Indonesian policymakers, civil society organizations, private sector entities, research institutions, and other stakeholders. The senior advisor on building conservation constituencies will serve as a technical advisor for BIJAK’s Component 4 (improving the strategy in building conservation constituencies). In this role, he or she will be responsible for helping BIJAK shift Indonesian social norms and public opinion in favor of conservation, supporting civil society advocacy efforts, and creating a public constituency aware of key conservation issues and the actionable options for addressing them. This position will be based in Jakarta, Indonesia. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide senior-level technical input and strategic views on all aspects of Component 4 and relevant activities across the full BIJAK scope of work
- Conceptualize and operationalize ambitious but realistic activities aimed at building constituencies for conservation, including issues-based networks and coalitions supporting advocacy efforts
- Build relationships with international donors; private sector actors; and local, regional, and national NGOs, and coordinate any joint work among them
- Lead at least one major initiative under Component 4 based on technical expertise, which may include mobilizing civil society networks to take collective campaign or advocacy efforts or improving government or NGO capacity in building constituencies for conservation
- Contribute to the design and refinement of Component 4 activity plans both in annual project work planning and on an ongoing basis
- Identify and support obtaining additional technical resources to implement the range of communications and advocacy work defined for the project
- Monitor and manage technical performance of external consultants, subcontractors, and/or grantee organizations
- Provide input on monitoring and evaluation of project activities, including metrics and data collection methods related to public knowledge, attitudes, and practices; organizational capacity; and media engagement
- Coordinate with BIJAK project communications team to generate and disseminate program messaging via the project website, social media, and other communications channels
- Advanced degree in international development, biodiversity conservation, sociology, communications, or a related field
- Minimum of five years of relevant professional experience in Indonesia designing, implementing, and leading advocacy and communications campaigns and implementing campaigns through mass media and social networks
- Experience in environmental causes preferred
- Familiarity with survey and polling techniques and working with existing mass media organizations
- Demonstrated ability to effectively form partnerships and build alliances for development, including with international donors, private sector actors, NGOs, and research bodies
- Demonstrated experience with analyses of influence pathways, developing strategic messaging and communications, and using data and evidence to persuade or influence
- Strong networking and interpersonal communications skills, including the ability to work well with different communities and pressure groups
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluent Bahasa Indonesia and English
Please email your CV and cover letter to BIJAKRecruitment@bijak-indonesia.org with “BIJAK-SACONS” in the subject line by August 17, 2018. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.