As a Senior member of IDG’s Project Excellence & Quality team, the Senior Advisor will play a leadership role in providing high level quality assurance and leadership in all aspects of project implementation excellence and quality, operations, and management while also supporting IDG’s efforts to improve cross RTI support alignment and unifying regional support norms. Key areas of work include resolving operational issues, risk identification and management, looking for innovations that address bottlenecks, training staff in operations and project management, and capturing and broadly disseminating lessons learned. As a senior member of this team, will be tasked with leading the team as needed at the Senior Director’s request or in her absence. May also be asked to provide short-term operational, management or technical assistance to projects and/or teams as appropriate.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Proactively works with IDG Senior leadership and project management teams (Portfolio Managers, Project Managers, Project Coordinators, and Project Associates) to support project implementation excellence and quality management initiatives.
- In close collaboration with the Senior Director of the Project Excellence and Quality team designs a process to monitor and publicize country operating requirements.
- In concert with the CFO and IRO transformation supports the development of a “One Team” mindset/culture across all IDG teams and supports the Senior Director in establishing a unified regional support process that ensures holistic problem solving across functions, technical programming, and geographical locations.
- Assists in the socialization, roll-out and practical application of the “Rule of Five” for Implementation Excellence across-IDG and the IROs.
- Assists in the establishment of a knowledge management system that allows IDG to capture and share lessons learned and best practices across projects, regions, and technical programming.
- In close collaboration with the Senior Director of the Project Excellence and Quality team leads the development of PMSO services and training offerings.
- Assists in resolving issues identified by project management teams or Project Performance Dashboard Reviews (PPDRs), identifies and manages risks, and plans and leads in-depth management reviews of projects as needed.
- Provides guidance and support to project staff and senior management on cross-cutting operations issues.
- Leads project start-up or close-out processes or provides surge support for other key or complex project issues and management needs as appropriate.
- Mentors and supports project management teams on project-specific financial, operational or management issues.
- Assists with the development and dissemination of standardized operations and project management templates and processes as requested. Proactively explores and recommends operational innovations and process improvements.
- As needed, works with project management and implementation teams to update field operations manuals and ensure that RTI/IDG operational standards and policies are applied across projects and programs.
- Spearheads efforts to standardize onboarding processes for project management staff especially at a project manager level and assists in the orientation and training for new program management staff in RTI policies, procedures and systems.
- Develops, leads or supports training and or “Deep Dive” discussions on project management or operational processes and concerns.
- As needed, develops solutions to problems not covered by established procedures.
- Provides routine and ad hoc reporting and presentations on project management and/or PMSO and Project Excellence & Quality activities.
- Supervises other staff and interns as required.
- Travels up to 20% domestically or internationally as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in
business administration, project management or relevant discipline with 12
years of relevant experience (or Bachelor’s degree with 16 years of relevant
- 7 or more years of
experience working with project management teams and matrix environment.
- 5 years or more
experience in direct or indirect field management experience
- Experience in project
administration and operation support in international development.
- PMP course work or certification
- Advanced proficiency in
administrative and operational support skills and abilities.
- Proven ability to work across
technical and operational areas within business group.
- In-depth knowledge of USAID rules
and regulations and project management practices in international
- Ability to adapt to new systems and
processes as required.
- Proficiency in Excel, MS Word,
- Excellent communication (verbal and
written) and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to proactively
support complex and geographically disparate portfolios.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong ability to partner and
- Culturally sensitive and
- Proficiency in French or Spanish
- Knowledge of Articulate Storyline
preferred but not required.
- Must be eligible to work in the US.