Title: Senior Advisor, Research and Learning
Division: Programs & Partnerships
Location: Washington, DC
Reporting Relationship: Director, Research and Learning
The Senior Advisor, Research and Learning provides social and behavioral science research expertise in support of ChildFund International’s (ChildFund’s) thought leadership initiatives, learning agenda, and research program. The Senior Advisor, Research and Learning supports and facilitates research and evaluation design efforts, manages the execution and quality of research studies, and supports internal processes of reflection and learning within and across technical areas in P&P and globally. S/He plays a strategic and active role in the development of learning products and the communication and use of research results internally and externally.
Remain alert and responsive to any child safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills which will enable you to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct yourself in a manner consistent with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Research Program Development (20%)
- Actively contribute to the framing and development of ChildFund’s learning agenda and research program.
- Support the design of research and evaluation frameworks for ChildFund’s thought leadership initiatives and other intervention projects and programs.
- Manage the ongoing development of ChildFund’s Evidence Repository.
- Support the development and maintenance of organizational processes for study ethics (Institutional Review Board) review.
Research/Evaluation Design and Oversight (40%)
- Develop study plans with technical leads that are consistent with the learning agenda and ChildFund’s priority programmatic interventions (e.g., Program Models).
- Collaborate with technical leads and monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) colleagues in P&P and in COs to develop, implement, and monitor research initiatives that inform and provide evidence for program priorities.
- Manage multiple research and e
- valuation processes and products.
- Develop tools to support P&P and COs to pursue high quality research initiatives and products and ensure high-quality execution of research activities and products.
- Collaborate with technical leads and MEL colleagues in P&P and in COs to support the development of field-level monitoring frameworks which are consistent with key thought leadership and learning agenda research questions.
- Support the development of MEL frameworks and study plans for key grants, as required.
- Identify and support improvements to ChildFund’s global theories of change, program models and M&E system and frameworks based on learning from evaluations and research initiatives.
- Supervise external consultants/contractors regarding study methods and implementation.
Learning Products, Knowledge Management, and Dissemination (25%)
- Contribute to the design and implementation of knowledge management plans and processes to support research initiatives and the sharing of research findings and evidence (e.g., Evidence Repository).
- Review research and evaluation findings, conduct literature reviews, and develop learning products and dissemination strategies to communicate and facilitate the use of research results with a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Design, write and edit documents, articles, chapters and reports which summarize findings of research and evaluation initiatives.
- Co-author articles for conferences and professional journals, which may include synthesizing relevant literature, conducting literature reviews, collaborating with COs as co-authors, and presenting at regional and global conferences.
Resource Mobilization (15%)
- Support the development of and manage partnerships with academic and research institutions to support and collaborate on research, learning and dissemination initiatives.
- Support the pursuit of funding for research initiatives.
- 8 years of experience in applied child development, human development, child welfare and/or child protection research, at least two years of international experience preferred.
- Proven experience in program monitoring and evaluation and research design and supporting team learning processes.
- Advanced knowledge of qualitative and qualitative approaches to social and behavioral science research methods and statistical analysis.
- Demonstrated project management skills and the ability to support diverse cross-functional teams across geographies.
- Organized, detail-oriented, self-reliant and self-directed, good problem solver and strategic thinker, results oriented, and team player individual.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent presentation, public speaking and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer skills, with familiarity in using SharePoint and Microsoft Office suite applications (particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Advanced proficiency in one or more statistical software packages (SPSS preferred).
- Experience with Institutional Review Board (IRB) processes.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Experience in collecting data for and conducting economic analysis (cost savings, benefit-cost) of interventions.
- Desired statistical analysis skills include correlational techniques, significance testing, ANOVA, multivariate regression, and structural equation modeling.
- Experience with qualitative analysis software (e.g., NIVIVO).
- Bilingual (English with French, Spanish, and/or Portuguese).
- Ability to manage and mentor 1-2 other staff if needed, including coaching, and performance management if necessary.
- Masters Degree in a field related to child development and protection (Psychology, Social Work, Public Health, Sociology).
- PhD or equivalent research experience preferred.
ChildFund International is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
NOTE: All interested applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. (for Washington DC applicants) or in the specified country (for Global applicants) at the time of application.
To Apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and Resume to email@example.com
About the OrganizationOur Vision
A world in which children realize their rights and achieve their potential.
HELP deprived, excluded and vulnerable children have the capacity to improve their lives and the opportunity to become young adults, parents and leaders who bring lasting and positive change in their communities.
PROMOTE societies whose individuals and institutions participate in valuing, protecting and advancing the worth and rights of children.
ENRICH supporters’ lives through their support of our cause.
Today, worldwide, 570 million children live in extreme poverty.
All children — including those 570 million — have rights to the support, protection and care they need to grow up healthy and strong. As a child-focused international development organization, ChildFund exists to change underlying factors that prevent children from fully experiencing these rights.