Why Join IntraHealth?
IntraHealth International is a global health nonprofit that has worked for 40 years in over 100 countries. We improve the performance of health workers and strengthen the systems in which they work so that everyone everywhere has the health care they need to thrive.
IntraHealth’s programs generate long-term social and economic impact to keep communities around the world healthy, strong, and prosperous. And our dynamic staff are passionate about global health and committed to excellence.
Join us. The future of global health starts here.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Senior Advocacy and Policy Advisor leads IntraHealth’s strategic advocacy portfolio in Washington DC. Reporting to the President and CEO, the Senior Advisor leads IntraHealth’s policy analysis and advocacy portfolio and engagement/partnerships with US global health policy stakeholders. The position serves as Director of the Frontline Health Workers Coalition secretariat, an alliance of more than 35 US-based organizations advocating for greater and more strategic investment in frontline health workers to improve global health outcomes.
The Senior Advocacy and Policy Advisor will further IntraHealth’s reputation as the preeminent NGO voice in Washington for frontline health workers, health systems strengthening, and access to essential health services in low- and middle-income countries. The Senior Advocacy and Policy Advisor will also harness the collective technical and programmatic expertise of IntraHealth’s staff to influence policy changes and develop partnerships to further IntraHealth’s mission.
- Leads IntraHealth and FHWC’s engagement with US global health policy stakeholders, including government agency political and technical leaders, congressional offices, non-governmental policy/advocacy alliances and roundtables, think tanks, and other influencers.
- Oversees development of IntraHealth and FHWC reports, policy recommendations, congressional testimony, and policy/advocacy presentations.
- Leads and manages the seven-member FHWC Steering Committee.
- Oversees analysis of new reports, legislation and proposals for potential policy/advocacy impact on IntraHealth and FHWC’s mission.
- Analyzes advocacy and media landscapes to advise high-impact policy communications activities for IntraHealth and FHWC.
Strategic Policy Engagement & Analysis
- Leads and manages the Washington office’s strategic engagement with partners and influencers in Washington.
- Advises IntraHealth’s executive team on thought leadership opportunities for IntraHealth’s technical and programmatic leaders.
- Analyzes the global health policy landscape to anticipate changes and provides thought leadership to IntraHealth’s executive team leaders to determine policy positions and advocacy activities.
- Leads and executes the thought leadership and strategic engagement strategy of IntraHealth’s Washington office on US and multilateral global health policy.
- Offers extensive expertise in US and multilateral global health policy and established relationships with leading US global health influencers.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 14 years’ of experience or Master’s Degree plus 10 years’ of experience or PHD and 6 years’ of experience in public policy, political science, public administration, communication or a related technical degree;
- Ten (10) years of experience in global health policy, advocacy, communications, and partnership building, with a record of delivering high-impact results and visibility to mission-driven policy priorities;
- Extensive knowledge of US and multilateral global health and development policy, have background in HRH/HSS;
- expertise in synthesizing complex policies and research for non-specialist audiences;
- Established relationships with global health policy leaders
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Ability to travel locally and internationally approximately 0-25% of the time
- Position is based in an office, requiring sitting at a desk most of the day
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
About the OrganizationDedicated to strengthening health workers and the systems that support them, IntraHealth International has served the public health needs of developing countries for 30 years. We bring about positive change by harnessing the potential of technology, valuing the power of partnership, and maintaining a sharp focus on the health worker. To help close the gap in access to health care we have developed and share a depth of expertise in:
•Health workforce and systems strengthening
•Health worker training and performance
•Maternal, newborn and child health
•Family planning and reproductive health
•HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis prevention, treatment and care
•Malaria prevention and treatment
Founded in 1979 as the Intrah program at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine, IntraHealth incorporated as an independent nonprofit organization in 2003. We have worked in more than 75 countries throughout our history, and currently have programs in over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Eurasia. Our work is funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID), the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, Pfizer, Inc., the Tides Foundation, and by individual contributors.
IntraHealth’s main office is in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. We also have offices in Washington, DC, Armenia, Ethiopia, Guatemala, India, Kenya, Lesotho, Mali, Namibia, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Southern Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia.