USAID’s Integrated Health Program (USAID IHP) is a $314 million seven year intervention working across nine provinces in the DRC, supporting 178 health zones. USAID IHP supports USAID’s strategy on Health Systems Strengthening in the DRC. USAID seeks to strengthen the capacity of Congolese institutions and communities to deliver quality, integrated health services to sustainably improve the health status of the Congolese population. This program is now entering is second year, and a new position of Director of Operations is being created, reflecting changes in Abt’s global structure, recognizing the importance of differentiating Finance and Operations.
The DOO will report to the COP and has primary responsibility for setting the vision and providing the leadership for the operational roll out of the program to the nine provinces. S/he will manage, oversee and establish and/or maintain systems for human resources, sub-contracts, procurement, procurement, logistics, office management, and security. S/he will work closely with the Director of Finance and Administration to ensure effective and accountable program delivery. S/he will work with program and technical staff in the Kinshasa and with the three Regional Directors to ensure smooth operations, accountability, and a strong control environment. S/he will supervise Operations staff. Appointment of this position is dependent on the client approving this new role.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Working with key personnel in Kinshasa and Regional Directors in the field, lead a process to develop and implement a strategy to effectively and accountably roll out the program operations to all three regions and nine provinces
- Provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Health Provincial Health Units (DPS) on financial and operations management to ensure they have the capacity to effectively and accountably manage sub-contracts
- Working closely with the Human Resource Partner in Home office and Human Resource Manager in Kinshasa, lead on human resource matters for Abt employees and consultants, which includes compliance with relevant local laws, regulations, and tax issues and Abt corporate policies such as hiring, onboarding of staff, benefit tracking, and termination
- Working closely with home office Sub Contracts Manager to ensure that subcontractors are in compliance with USAID and Abt regulations; Review subcontractor invoices for accuracy, validate that subcontractor spending is in alignment with the budget and with work produced, and liaise with home office team on invoice review and approval as required
- Lead in the establishment, maintenance, and documentation of a strong procurement function for goods and services including establishment of tendering process to promote transparency, evaluation of vendors’ proposals, selection of vendors, negotiation with vendors for payment terms, through development and approval of purchase orders. This will also include establishing preferred vendors for recurrent procurements in Kinshasa and the field offices
- Lead in the establishment, maintenance, and documentation of a strong logistics function which includes project inventory management, conference organization, air and ground transportation, fleet management, and visitor management
- Lead in office management for Kinshasa and all nine field offices from set up to close out including managing lease holds, internet service provision and connectivity, equipment purchase, and management of relations and disputes with landlords and sub-tenants
- Working closely with the Security Manager, ensure security of Abt’s staff, program operation, and assets
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s Degree (preferred), in Business, Finance, Accounting, or other relevant field. Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field required
- At least 12 years of experience in a management position in the public or private sector, with a minimum of 8 years overseas
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills and/or experience in accounting, financial planning and management, and procurement, and other management support areas, as required
- Demonstrated skills, abilities, and experience to manage a program of similar magnitude and complexity, including those funded by USAID
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in both French and English
- Knowledge of USAID and FAR
- Ability and willingness to travel approximately 25% of the time to program locations within the Democratic Republic of Congo
- MA/MBA with 13-15 years OR PhD with 8-10 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.