Position Title: Senior Associate/Manager, Francophone West Africa Portfolio (2 positions available)
Position Type: Full time
Supervisor: Senior Program Manager, Africa Team
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Start Date: As soon as possible
Primary Objective: The last few years have been a period of rapid growth for Partners’ Africa Team, both in terms of project portfolio expansion and affiliate center start up and strengthening in Nigeria and Senegal. The team’s strategic priorities are security governance, access to justice and justice reform, organizational capacity building, conflict resolution and mitigation, and civil society strengthening, with current programming in Senegal, Guinea, Nigeria and Burkina Faso. We are now seeking a qualified Senior Program Associateand/or Program Manager (2 positions available) with project and financial management experience to oversee direct implementation for the Francophone West Africa portfolio. Francophone programs include community policing in Guinea, the establishment of regional justice houses throughout Guinea to provide greater access to formal judicial services like mediation and facilitation to resolve civil cases; inclusion of women’s priorities in building sustainable peace and security throughout the Casamance region of Senegal and border communities; and developing community-responsive, solutions-oriented approaches to policing in border communities in Burkina Faso and Senegal. PartnersGlobal works with recognized national partners and integrates into program design collaborative, participatory processes to ensure buy-in and sustainability beyond the life of the projects.
The Senior Program Associate(s)/Program Manager(s) will work together on the Francophone portfolio and with Africa team members and partners in the region to provide high quality deliverables and identify innovative solutions to contribute to portfolio growth and monitor ongoing impacts. He/she will provide project management support from DC, nurture positive relationships with donors, and conduct field assignments as needed, and be part of a dynamic team of professionals who are passionate about their work and must work effectively in highly collaborative environments.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the development of a vibrant organization that already has a track record of impressive work that is well respected by donors and local organizations alike. PartnersGlobal has a strong portfolio of projects not only across the Africa region but also in Middle East/North Africa, Europe, and Latin America. We have a committed staff of 23, a friendly and supportive office culture, combined with a passionate belief in our work and the potential to expand.
- Work under the supervision of Africa Director and Senior Program Manager to ensure effective implementation of programming and performance objectives are being met within timeline and budget;
- Draft complex project-related documents including quarterly and final reports to donors, project workplans and communications plans;
- Ensure all fiscal and performance activities are in compliance with PartnersGlobal policies and procedures and funder regulations;
- Work closely with finance team counterparts on monitoring project budgets, including analyzing projections vs actuals, forecasting and recasting, and preparing modifications (e.g. realignments, cost and no cost extensions), producing invoices, reviewing monthly financial reports, preparing advance requests, wire requests, travel authorizations and expense reports;
- Maintain effective relations and coordination with local implementing organizations, project partners, and donors, organizing monthly project check-ins and applying effective problem-solving skills when faced with challenges related to implementation and/or contextual factors;
- Provide support to business development processes, including drafting concept notes, writing sections of the proposal narrative, development of budgets, and creation of any supplementary materials such as monitoring and evaluation plans and log frames;
- Negotiate, manage and monitor sub-grants and contracts with international and national partners;
- Organize logistics and travel for in-field visits, with anticipated travel up to 30%
- Conduct and supervise program evaluation reports;
- Fulfill other duties as assigned.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree desired) in international relations, African studies, or related subject pertaining to international development, peacebuilding, etc
- A minimum of 3-5 years related experience in managing development and/or peacebuilding projects;
- Professional background in West Africa region strongly desired;
- Excellent oral and writing skills with ability to express complex ideas clearly;
- Ability to analyze, organize, problem-solve, manage, and prioritize work;
- High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with U.S. and foreign national staff and civil society, government and the private sector actors;
- Experience in supporting new business development, such as narrative or budget development, reporting, and/or monitoring and evaluation
- Experience with and ability to fulfill short-term field assignments;
- Demonstrated knowledge and competency in one or more of Partners’ program areas (e.g. security sector reform, organizational development, conflict resolution, civil society, good governance);
- Proven team player with the skills and ability to form positive relations with colleagues.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than July 31, 2018. As the subject, please type: “Application: AFRICA TEAM SENIOR ASSOCIATE/MANAGER”. No telephone calls, please.
PartnersGlobal is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on sex, gender, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, pregnancy, marital status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
About the Organization
ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND: PartnersGlobal (previously Partners for Democratic Change), established in 1989, is an international, non-governmental organization (NGO) committed to building sustainable capacity to advance democratic institutions, civil society, and a culture of peaceful change and conflict management worldwide. PartnersGlobal specializes in organizational development and social entrepreneurship for democracy and peace, having provided the seed capital and technical assistance to establish 21 independent, local Partners’ Centers around the world. Together, these Centers comprise the Partners Network, a global civil society platform of collegial NGOs working for democratic change in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa.
PartnersGlobal adheres to the values of participatory decision-making, collaboration, conflict transformation and consensus-building as the fundamentals of an inclusive, democratic society; and, we promote the application of these skills in all aspects of our work. Our diverse, global team includes process experts, facilitators, and trainers who apply those collaborative skills to achieve concrete results in a diverse range of technical areas such as the rule of law, women’s empowerment, security sector reform, and natural resource management. The Partners Network is renowned for cultivating local leaders who undertake cutting edge work; applying our process expertise to convene disparate parties and innovative partnerships to jointly tackle some of the most complex social and political challenges in conflict-affected and transitioning countries.
As the organization prepares to celebrate our 30th Anniversary, we continue to adapt and respond to a rapidly changing world. Keeping with our core mission, we are poised to expand our network with new investments in Partners’ Centers in the Middle East and Africa. Together with our Network colleagues, we are building new partnerships and participating in broad-based coalitions to collectively respond to the alarming trends of democratic backsliding and increasing polarization in all corners of the globe. PartnersGlobal is a recognized sector leader in addressing civil society resiliency in the face of closing political space, with a unique accompaniment model for financial diversification and late-stage organizational transitions. An entrepreneurial spirit is deeply embedded within our organizational culture, leading to our collective offering of several innovative products, methodologies and partnership platforms, most recently: the Partners’ Security Governance, Accountability and Performance (SGAP) Toolkit; the Islands of Integrity methodology, a systemic approach to local government corruption; and, our Narratives for Peace platform.