Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Technical Director for upcoming USAID Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) 7 task orders. The position will lead a team and support Abt technical efforts in the design of proposals and implementation programs for FEWS NET activities across Pillars 1 and 3. FEWS NET project goals are to collect complex and disparate data and provide timely, accurate and evidence-based analysis of current and future acute food insecurity worldwide, utilizing advanced tools and skills to forecast acute food insecurity and incorporating new technologies and methods for assessing current and future food insecurity. The program is also anticipated to provide support in the continued development of local capacities to monitor and assess food security, and provide early warning for decision-making.
This Technical Director position will be responsible for task order leadership and implementation as well as the positioning, design, and preparations for FEWS NET task orders. The position will represent Abt and coordinate with other FEWS NET IDIQ partners, inter-agency agreement partners, and among USAID-funded projects. The Director will also lead collaboration and network development activities with national, regional, and global partners. He/she will ensure the project achieves results including project deliverables and targets in an effective and compliant manner. The Director shall work closely with team members and other directors to ensure the provision of timely, high quality, evidence-based analytical products that meet and/or exceed USAID requirements.
Position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead a technical team in the design of programs, strategies, proposal outlines, win themes, and implementation plans for expected task orders under Pillars 1 and 3 for FEWS NET with the ultimate expectation of assuming the role of Technical Director for a won task order.
- Provide management leadership (programmatic, financial and administrative) for the project ensuring full alignment with national and international standards.
- Oversee the implementation of the project and provide guidance and vision to staff, ensuring the achievement of all project deliverables and targets in a timely manner.
- Represent Abt and build and maintain excellent, productive relationships with USAID, inter-agency agreement partners, national government counterparts, and relevant civil society organizations and serve as a leader in the food security community.
- Lead the development of standards for analysis of food insecurity and training modules to ensure all staff have required analytical skills in food security analysis.
- Lead collaboration, network development, and food insecurity response activities with national, regional, and global partners. Lead interactions with partners and contractors.
- Supervise data gathering and documentation, technology development, and continuous forecasting process accuracy to build the FEWS NET evidence base, ensuring data quality and resolving any data quality issues that may arise.
- Uphold the standards of Abt Associates to lead a high performing team; ensure strict compliance to USAID and Abt’s policies, regulations and internal controls.
- Master’s Degree in agriculture/food security, economics, disaster management, or other relevant FEWS NET field.
- At least 10 years of senior-level experience designing, implementing, and managing or evaluating complex and multi-country food security or disaster management programs.
- Demonstrated technical depth, experience, and understanding of the global food security sector, famine, and/or disaster management, including international work experience.
- Demonstrated experience managing data management programs that flexibly respond to unanticipated crises or developments, preferably in the food security sector.
- Demonstrated risk management experience and familiarity with conflict and post-conflict environments preferred.
- Demonstrated success managing complex multi-country donor programs is desired, previous USAID project experience strongly preferred.
- Experience building and maintaining partnerships with other projects, local organizations, host country governments, and international agencies.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills in English required.
- Experience and familiarity working with FEWS NET and interagency partners preferred.
- MA/MBA (13 – 15) years of experience OR PhD (8 – 10) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.