Summary of Role
The Senior Business Development Manager provides leadership to IntraHealth’s strategic growth by supporting efforts to cultivate donors and secure funds for the organization’s global programs in maternal, newborn, and child health, HIV/AIDS, malaria, reproductive health and family planning, and other priority health areas. S/he does this by leading efforts to respond to business development opportunities, with an emphasis on growing IntraHealth’s portfolio of priority projects. This includes working highly collaboratively with US and country-based teams to guide achievement of business development goals. This position independently oversees and manages teams composed of staff, consultants, and external partners to develop proposals (ranging in value and complexity) in response to donor solicitations and requests that are aligned with organizational priorities. The position develops and maintains specialized knowledge of specific regions, countries, and technical areas of priority to the organization.
In developing proposals, s/he participates in project design, may contribute to writing key sections of proposals, and ensures all critical components of the proposal are successfully completed and the final proposal is submitted within deadline and to a high quality of standards. The position will also lead growth strategies for an assigned geographic region, in close collaboration with regional and country-based staff. S/he provides guidance and support for country office-based business development activities including, but not limited to, conducting capture trips, identifying local partner organizations, and engaging in strategic planning with country-based staff. S/he contributes to the larger strategic development of the Business Development Department and serves in a least one leadership role for the department. S/he represents the organization externally with international and local partners, as well as government and private donors.
This position reports to the Business Development Director and supervises the workload of the Business Development Manager, and/or Business Development Officer(s), and/or Business Development Specialist(s).
- Provides leadership in expanding IntraHealth’s portfolio in strategic program and technical areas and ensures alignment with IntraHealth’s core business.
- Leads proposal development teams, liaising with program, finance, communications, contracts, and country office staff to ensure high quality, proposals that are grounded in best practices, public health practice, and compliant with donor requirements and regulations.
- Conducts capture trips to determine feasibility of pursuing particular opportunities and engages with donors and potential partners and staff, when we have a local presence.
- Works highly collaboratively with staff (US-based and in-country offices) to develop and support country-level business development opportunities.
- Participates in and leads discussions with international and local non-governmental organizations to identify partnerships for proposals and future opportunities.
- Monitors and tracks business opportunities for priority countries, and assesses organizational fit.
- Engages directly in the development of proposals, contributing to technical design and to the writing/strengthening of key sections.
- Recruits, interviews, and hires consultants to assist with business development, including preparing consultant scopes of work and monitoring deliverables.
- Leads debrief sessions with key members of proposal teams to identify and document lessons learned and best practices for future efforts.
- Makes recommendations and develops tools that improve Business Development processes.
- Remains current on latest funding trends, policies, and innovations for health that align with the organization’s current and expanding core business.
- Represents IntraHealth to an array of external clients and stakeholders, such as partner agencies, donors, consultants, and potential key personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Masters Degree in Public Health or related field and 8 or more years of relevant professional experience in international development (project implementation or management or new business development) highly preferred (or a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study and at least 14 years of related work experience.)
- At least 5 years supervisory and project management experience.
- Overseas experience required, previous residence in a developing country desirable
- A demonstrated record of accomplishment in attracting and sustaining public and private funding including grants and contracts from the US Agency for International Development (USAID)
- An understanding of funding trends and relationships within global health.
- Experience in the development of quality and winning proposals working with multiple partners and within tight deadlines.
- Ability to articulate IntraHealth’s capabilities to funding agencies and partners, and externally represent the organization
- Fluency in English required; French and/or Spanish strongly preferred
- Knowledge of logical frameworks or other project design concepts; previous project design experience strongly preferred.
- Advanced writing, editing, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to be flexible in a globally dynamic work environment.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, not to exceed 20% of working days per year.
- Computer skills in Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe, SharePoint.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Office environment requiring sitting at a desk most of the day, using hands to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed
- Innovation- Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within your role that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
- Accountability- Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for IntraHealth’s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
- Service Excellence- Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
- Managing Performance- Ability to plan and design practices processes and procedures that allow for effective management of people, resources and processes to optimize overall performance. Managing for performance includes the ability to delegate and encourage growth and leadership across the team(s) as part of maximizing performance and productivity.
- Strategic Thinking- Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable plans.
- Effective Communication (Oral and Written)- Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors\
- Risk Management- Knowledge of processes, tools and techniques for assessing and controlling the organization’s exposure to risks of various kinds; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @:http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
About the Organization
Why Choose IntraHealth
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work.
Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective.
Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.