EnCompass LLC is actively seeking a Senior Advisor for Capacity Strengthening to join our team onsite at the USAID Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS) project office in Rockville. This is a fulltime position on the USAID DHS project. The Advisor provides technical guidance to, and oversees the implementation of, strategies and interventions to strengthen host country individual and institutional capacity across the data collection, communication, and use spectrum. S/he will work closely with subject matter experts across the DHS program and will support the development, enhancement, and application of standardized, evidence-based approaches to individual and institutional capacity strengthening. The advisor will ensure that capacity building activities are integrated into all DHS programs and will be a strong advocate for capacity building approaches. The position requires overseas travel up to 30 percent of the time.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions include:
- Surveys training and capacity strengthening program
- Design, implement, monitor and evaluate DHS program’s five-year global capacity strengthening strategy including proposing practical strategies to reinforce capacity of national statistics offices
- Prepare strategy documents and analytical reports on capacity building objectives
- Assess training program needs and develop and implement strategies for improvements
- Analyze existing training methods, tools, and technology and make recommendations for maximizing existing resources to meet overall training program needs
- Assess headquarters staff training needs and organize and conduct a series of TOTs to strengthen their capacity to design and carry out competency-based training programs
- Oversee the development of instructional curricula including ensuring timely delivery of technical content and materials by subject matter experts
- Oversee the design of blended learning courses including synchronous bilingual courses
- Lead design and implementation of blended learning initiatives geared towards leveraging face-to-face training programs including promoting the DHS Online Learning Platform
- Provide mentoring and coaching support to technical experts in how to apply cutting edge learning solutions to reinforce counterparts training skills
- Coordinate the implementation of annual regional workshops on diverse technical topics to reinforce training skills of local counterparts and south-to-south consultants
- Travel to DHS countries and provide technical assistance including organizing and conducting national level stakeholders’ meetings to raise funds to support implementation, monitoring and evaluation of those plans
- Manage the portfolio as well as develop annual work plans for the capacity strengthening and training program including:
- Participate in budget planning and preparation for each new fiscal year
- Ensure that activities are carried out within budget
- As a member of the DHS Senior management team, participate in quarterly partners meeting as well as biweekly senior management meetings and provide updates on progress made in the CS program
- Supervise and support quality performance of staff.
- Minimum of a master’s degree in international development, adult learning, or a related field.
- At least seven (7) years of demonstrated experience in managing or implementing capacity building programs or activities within a developing country setting to increase the capacity of individuals and institutions with respect to the analysis, communication/dissemination, and use of data
- Demonstrated knowledge of approaches to individual and institutional capacity building within the field of international health and development, including both in-person and virtual approaches as well as novel and innovative approaches
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Strong planning, organization, strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills, including writing and public speaking.
- Previous experience working in a consulting and project environment, highly desirable.
- High level of competence in writing reports, analyses, proposals or other technical communications
- Fluency in English is required; fluency in French, Spanish, Portuguese, or Arabic preferable.
How to Apply
- Please apply directly on our website, using the link provided.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
About the Organization
EnCompass LLC is a women-owned small business that offers innovative solutions for organizational excellence. We seek to enhance the impact and capacity of government and multilateral agencies, corporations, and nonprofits around the world through customized services in organizational and leadership development, training, technical assistance, and evaluation. EnCompass has a global and multicultural team of staff and consultants with deep expertise in a range of issues including health, HIV/AIDS, gender, democracy and governance, education, human rights, agriculture and food security.