Cardno International Development has a 50-year history partnering with bilateral and multilateral donors and private clients. Cardno brings together a broad range of experience and talent, a rich history of innovation and passion, and an established reputation for high quality services across many sectors. We have international development focused offices in Brussels, Dili, Jakarta, Manila, Melbourne, Nairobi, London, Haddenham, Port Moresby, Yangon, and Washington, D.C.
Position Description and Duties
Cardno International Development in its Nairobi office is seeking a full-time Senior Communications Professional who will be responsible for managing and executing multiple communications initiatives working directly with USAID in Kenya to meet their strategic initiatives. The position is based in Kenya and will report to Cardno’s Nairobi office.
S/he will manage the full suite of communications services to support the strategic objectives, including the development and implementation of a communications strategy. S/he will lead activities to maximize USAID’s branding and messaging throughout Eastern Africa. This will include content creation for and utilization of social media platforms, web, newsletters, and other tools.
The position requires 8+ years of experience in international development and multiple disciplines of communications, including developing and implementing communications strategy, writing articles and press releases, producing brochures and other marketing materials, digital marketing, social media, public relations and outreach to local media.
- Developing internal and external marketing and communications materials (articles, press releases, talking points, presentations, layout and design thereof, etc.)
- Planning and executing events and outreach
- Ensuring full utilization of social media platforms including LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and HootSuite
- Adhering to and regulating the implementation of USAID’s Graphics Standards Manual and the agency’s Branding and Marking contractual requirements
- Willing and able to travel on occasion in Kenya and internationally
- Existing relationships with local media a plus
- A Master’s Degree in Communications or Journalism, or a related field of study (or Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field with an additional 10 years of relevant experience)
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- At least 8 years of related public relations, public outreach or communications for international development experience.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and editing
- Demonstrated management, supervision, leadership, organizational, teamwork, and people skills
- Demonstrated skills in full utilization of social media including: LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and HootSuite
- Demonstrated skills in graphic design, including basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of major international donor organizations, especially USAID
- Demonstrated experience in proposal development, in particular for USAID
- Knowledge of corporate client business development a plus
- Ability to work harmoniously in high pressure situations
- Experience working with international programs and understanding of business development and project management in developing countries
- Experience working in Africa, particularly Kenya, highly preferred
- Fluency in the English language (speaking, writing, reading) required and a foreign language is desirable.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Adobe InDesign
Cardno offers an excellent compensation and benefits package. Cardno is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal Opportunity statement for U.S. based applicants: Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.