As the Senior Consultant, you will contribute to the Cardno growth strategy as part of a dynamic team. Reporting to the BD Manager you will be responsible for pursuing new donor-funded opportunities, managing a portfolio of Programmes/Projects, as well as mentoring junior staff. You will contribute to corporate business strategy, improvement and innovation, both within the Business Unit, and across the various Business Units and Areas within International Development.
About the role:
Working closely with staff and other parts of the company and the wider group, and under the direction of the BD Manager, you will undertake the effective tracking of business prospects and conversion of opportunities into successful bids.
- Provide strategic advice into the development and expansion of International Development Division’s (ID) portfolio of activities.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key ID clients and stakeholders including, but not limited to, FCO and DFID, business partners, independent consultants and firms and development partners.
- Identify, track and monitor business development opportunities covering DFID, FCO and a range of donors, sectors and geographies;
- Take a lead role in the effective bid management of a wide range of tenders, including management of proposal writing teams to ensure that members are delivering high-quality, winning proposals, within designated timeframes, whilst effectively coordinating workloads.
- Assist in bid preparation within a team approach involving circulation of drafts and mutual review
- Bid writing, including technical sections, as well as backstopping personnel section, work plan and logical framework
- Undertake internet research in support of bid preparation;
- Work with experts to prepare CVs to a high standard;
- Work with other team members to collate consultant and company documents for bid submission
- Support in the identification of partners and assist in the negotiation/preparation of Teaming/Pre-Bid Agreements for selected opportunities;
- Contribute fully to recruitment and selection activities to secure high quality teams or individuals for nomination in proposals, Standard Selection Questionnaire (SSQ) and Expressions of Interest (EOIs) and preparation of adverts for websites and contacting of experts.
- Prepare Standard Selection Questionnaires (SSQ)/Expressions of Interest (EOI), including selection of references and tailoring of project profiles to closely fit SSQ/EOI criteria
- Assist staff with the updating and maintenance of the project profiles database/knowledge bank (and other tools if appropriate) to ensure tools provide an accurate record of work undertaken by the company/group;
- Assist in negotiation of fees and terms and conditions.
- Manage a portfolio of Programmes / Projects, including responsibility as Project Director / Project Manager roles as required.
- Provide management, quality and technical advisory support to project teams to ensure achievement of project outcomes in respect to time, quality and cost, and the management of projects risks.
- Manage client and (where appropriate) partner relationships to ensure all stakeholder expectations are incorporated into project management decisions.
- Oversee contractual compliance in all areas.
- Manage project staff performance.
- Monitor financial performance including expenditure against budgets and forecasts, including staff costs, operating expenses and procurements
- Plan and manage the operational aspects of project start-up and closeout to ensure delivery of required inputs to these processes from corporate services, service providers and stakeholders;
- Manage Project Managers and Finance Managers executing similar functions at the project level;
- Assist in the recruitment and selection of project personnel.
- Assist in the negotiation and amendment of personnel contracts.
- Serve as the primary liaison between corporate services and the project operations staff;
- Support corporate registration in-country and ensure all legal and financial requirements are met and maintained for the entity and project;
- Participate in the development and maintenance of operations group and project work plans;
- Ensure project issues and risks are managed and reported as required;
- Support project advocacy with internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development and review of ID corporate strategy.
- Additional responsibilities on corporate committees or working groups as agreed with your Manager.
- Demonstrate a commitment to upholding Cardno and ID core values and behavioural standards.
- Undertake technical and management inputs on programs as required.
- Represent Cardno at client, industry and government events.
Any other duties as defined by the BD Manager including the provision of leave cover, as necessary.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in a relevant technical subject or other relevant development qualification
- Experience in working in one or more the following sectors
- Trade / Economic Development
- Infrastructure / Urban Development / Future Cities / Energy
- Business Enabling / PSD
- Private Sector Development
- Proven experience in an international development consultancy programme
- Programme Management experience including delivery of large programmes especially with DFID/FCO as a client
- Business Development experience – delivery of large Bids/proposals especially for DFID/FCO
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple stakeholders – including governments, research institutes and local consulting companies / subcontractors
- Demonstrated ability to lead on bids for large projects, develop methodologies, write technical and commercial proposals
- Demonstrated ability to lead on monitoring, evaluation and value for money (VfM) reporting
- Demonstrated ability to undertake independent research and manage activities to achieve strict deadlines
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to communicate concepts and ideas in a succinct, logical and clear manner.
- Skilled in MS Office applications.
*UK work authorisation required
About the Organization
Cardno is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, with specialist expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Cardno's team includes leading professionals who plan, design, manage and deliver sustainable projects and community programs. Cardno is an international company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange [ASX:CDD].
To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.cardno.com/emergingmarkets