A really exciting new role, contributing to a new growth strategy for business development of DFID/FCO and other donor-funded opportunities.
About the Role
As the Senior Consultant for Commercial Development you will report to the Head of Commercial Development and will be responsible for contributing to business development activities and bidding for DFID/FCO and other donor-funded opportunities, managing a portfolio of programmes/projects, as well as mentoring junior staff. You will also be expected to contribute to corporate business strategy, improvement and innovation, both within the Business Unit, and across the various Business Units and Areas within International Development across Cardno.
Duties and Responsibilities
Working closely with staff and other parts of the company and the wider group, the Senior Consultant will lead on the effective tracking of business prospects and conversion of opportunities into successful bids.
- Provide strategic advice into the development and expansion of the International Development Division’s (ID) portfolio of activities
- Establish and maintain relationships with key ID clients and stakeholders including, but not limited to, FCO and DFID, business partners, independent consultants and firms and development partners
- Identify, track and monitor business development opportunities covering DFID, FCO and a range of donors, sectors and geographies, including overseas visits to capture intelligence
- Lead bid management teams for a wide range of tenders, including management of proposal writing teams to ensure that members are delivering high-quality, winning proposals, within designated timeframes, whilst effectively coordinating workloads
- High performance bid writing, including technical sections, as well as backstopping, personnel sections, work plan and logical framework
- Work with other team members to collate consultant, company and compliance documents for bid submission
- Support in the identification of partners and assist in the negotiation/preparation of Teaming/Pre-Bid Agreements for selected opportunities
- Contribute fully to recruitment and selection activities to secure high quality teams and/or individuals for nomination in proposals, Standard Selection Questionnaires (SSQs) and Expressions of Interest (EOIs), and preparation of adverts for websites and contacting of experts
Manage a portfolio of programmes / projects, including responsibility as Project Manager. This will include the following responsibilities:
- Manage client and (where appropriate) partner relationships to ensure all stakeholder expectations are incorporated into project management decisions.
- Plan and manage the operational aspects of project start-up, implementation and closeout to ensure delivery of required inputs to these processes from corporate services, service providers and stakeholders
- Assist in the negotiation, preparation and amendment of project personnel contracts
- Manage project field teams and serve as the primary liaison between Cardno corporate services and the project operations staff
- Participate in the development and maintenance of project work plans and budgets
- Ensure project issues and risks are managed and reported as required
- Support project advocacy and communications with internal and external stakeholders
- Contribute to the development and review of the ID corporate strategy(ies)
- Additional responsibilities on corporate committees or working groups as agreed with the BD Manager
- Demonstrate a commitment to upholding Cardno and ID core values and behavioural standards
- Undertake technical and management inputs on programmes as required
- Represent Cardno at client, industry and government events
Any other duties as defined by the Head of Commercial Development Manager including the provision of leave cover, as necessary.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- University degree in a relevant technical subject or other relevant development qualification. Post-graduate degree desirable but not mandatory.
- Experience in working in one or more of the following sectors:
- Trade / Economic Development
- Social / Human Development
- Infrastructure / Urban Development / Future Cities / Energy
- Business Enabling / PSD
- Private Sector Development
- Experience working in an international development consultancy
- Proven ability to write winning bids for DFID and FCO
- Proven experience in managing a multi-year international development consultancy programme
- Demonstrated ability to network and construct project teams at EOI/proposal stage and manage and coordinate multiple stakeholders – including governments, research institutes and local consulting companies / subcontractors
- Demonstrated ability to lead on bids for large projects, develop methodologies, write technical and commercial proposals
- Demonstrated ability to carry-out technical work at field level for international donor funded technical assistance projects/programmes
- Proven proposal and report writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to undertake independent research and manage activities to achieve strict deadlines
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to communicate concepts and ideas in a succinct, logical and clear manner
- Skilled in MS Office applications
- UK work authorisation required
About the Organization
Cardno has a 50-year history of working in partnership with developing countries to deliver solutions for sustainable development. Through the expertise of professionals operating in more than 100 countries, we investigate the causes of poverty and focus on improving the physical, economic and social infrastructure that sustains communities.
Cardno is an international company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange [ASX:CDD].
To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.cardno.com/emergingmarkets