Requisition ID: req2299
Job Title: Senior Coordinator, Sexual and Reproductive Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Kenya-Nairobi (IHUB)
Over the past 81 years, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) has developed unparalleled expertise in helping people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Health programs represent the largest single sector within which IRC currently operates, constituting approximately 45% of the international budget and with activities in 25 countries. IRC health programs worldwide are implemented in partnership with Ministry of Health and/or non-governmental organizations. IRC is also engaged in direct provision of health care, safe drinking water and sanitation support to beneficiaries where needed. Country-based health staff are supported by a health technical unit that contributes to the effectiveness and comprehensiveness of IRC primary health care programs through technical support, staff development, and institutional learning. The Senior Coordinator, will be a core member of the technical unit, working closely to coordinate technical support, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting of IRC’s role in a three-year, multi-country consortium project funded by the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID) called WISH2ACTION.
WISH2ACTION is a comprehensive, integrated approach to ensure equitable access to family planning and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), prioritising the most underserved women and girls, particularly youth under 20, the very poor, and marginalized populations (including people with disabilities, people displaced or affected by humanitarian crisis, and people living in hard-to-reach areas). IRC is an implementing partner in the WISH2ACTION project and will be responsible for delivering contraceptive services as part of a package of sexual and reproductive health, to women and girls in Somalia, South Sudan, and in refugee settings in Ethiopia and Kenya.
Based in IRC’s International Hub (I-Hub) office in Nairobi, the Senior Coordinator, Sexual and Reproductive Health will be responsible for ensuring effective coordination of internal and external stakeholders and monitoring of WISH2ACTION project performance. The Senior Coordinator will ensure that IRC’s component of WISH2ACTION is implemented in accordance with DFID regulations, IRC policies and international standards of delivering integrated sexual and reproductive health programs. To achieve these goals, the Senior Coordinator will manage and monitor work plans and deliverables, track spending, identify technical support needs and deploy relevant advisors and specialists to the country programs. The Senior Coordinator will serve as the main focal point for IRC for the project for internal and external representation and manage staff members providing measurement and grants related aspects of project delivery. The position is contingent on the IRC being awarded funding and is anticipated to begin in August 2018.
Project Management and Monitoring
* Work with IRC country program staff to develop and actively track project work plans
* Closely monitor overall program quality and performance in terms of data measurement, spend rate on budgets, staffing at country level, on-time delivery of reports and other products.
* Coordinate deployment of technical and measurement to provide remote and in-country support to country programs in achieving project deliverables country programs to staff
* Act as the singular focal point for regular updates to relevant IRC internal stakeholders, including regional leadership, international programs department (IPD) leadership, and program quality unit (PQU) leadership
Partner Coordination and Representation
* Serve as the focal point with WISH2ACTION consortium partners to develop joint work plans and share IRC-specific progress and lessons learned
* Represent the IRC at consortium-level meetings and in presenting project results to external actors
* Coordinate the production of all narrative reports from IRC country teams team and provide feedback to improve product quality, accuracy, and style
* Ensure high quality, timely and coherent reporting, both financial and narrative to the consortium lead
Key Working Relationships:
* Position Reports to: Senior Technical Advisor, Reproductive Health
* Position directly supervises: TBD, a grants manager and/or M&E manager
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Country program Technical Coordinators, Deputy Directors for Programs, and Grants Coordinators/
WISH Consortium partners, DFID, Ministry of Health representatives in WISH countries
* Master of Public health or equivalent
* A minimum of 5 years’ experience in public health project management, including at least two years managing a project of similar size and complexity in a developing country setting, preference for work experience in East Africa
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
* Previous experience leading a large donor-funded project with strict deliverables and compliance requirements, preference for previous DFID project management experience
* Excellence in monitoring and evaluation of public health programs and program management including knowledge of budgeting principles and donor reporting
* Demonstrated knowledge of sexual and reproductive health programs, especially family planning programs in resource-limited settings
* Demonstrated experience in project design, proposal development and reporting
* Ability to work with remote, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams
* Excellence in writing and presentation
* Facilitation skills: ability to organize and executive workshops with multiple stakeholders and achieve desired outputs
Language Skills and Travel Required: Proficiency in English required, 30 - 40% of the time to four WISH2ACTION countries and to other meetings and workshops.