In this position, your vision and oversight are needed to diversify Anera’s funding sources and revenue for programming. By growing Anera’s revenue base, the lives of the most vulnerable people in Gaza, the West Bank, and Lebanon will be improved.
You will identify new business development opportunities with institutional funders of strategic and technical interest to Anera, overseeing and actively leading proposals, solicitation of grants, corporation/foundation funds, and major gifts events.
You will coordinate efforts with the headquarters fundraising team regarding opportunities for larger scale funding from individual donors. In coordination with the president and various stakeholders, you will initiate and implement a long-term strategy for growth.
You will work with the president, country directors and with national staff in the field to identify funding opportunities, pursue institutional relationships, and develop proposals for program funding. You will work also with the grants manager and the finance team to ensure accurate and responsive cost proposals are included in proposals. Advise as needed on post-award financial reporting and grants issues.
As a member of the management team, you will collaborate with the president, chief financial officer and country directors to share leadership and management of all Anera activities and strategic planning. This includes collaborating with the board of directors. You also will be expected to create and/or manage administrative systems and the NBD team to facilitate growth goals and improve Anera’s overall operations.
New Business Development
- Expand Anera’s relationship with USAID and diversify our base to other funders.
- Develop strategic partnerships and maintain relationships with stakeholders, partners, and collaborators, including internal colleagues such as headquarters, field, and board.
- Monitor funder strategies and funding opportunities, identifying ways in which ANERA can best contribute according to core competencies and technical staff.
- Cultivate forward bid-positioning, coordinate pre-bid intelligence gathering within the donor community, and bid or no-bid analysis and recommendations of upcoming RFAs, RFPs, and unsolicited proposals.
- Identify a pool of technical experts, writers, and reviewers for proposal development.
- Develop bid strategy and lead in the setting of goals, systems, processes, protocols, and implementation for Anera’s grant solicitation and processing.
- Coordinate with country office staff to prioritize funding targets and joint cultivation.
- Oversee and manage the proposal submission process.
- Responsible for final quality review of final content, formatting, and meeting proposal requisites.
- Overhaul Anera proposal templates and standard language as needed.
- Maintain up-to-date capability statements.
Program/Grants Management Support
- Assist country offices and HQ finance department with donor relations and grants management matters, as needed, including reviewing cost extensions that involve revised technical and cost proposal submissions.
- Provide technical assistance in program design, monitoring and evaluation, and review of deliverables, including required reporting to donors.
- Provide back-up review of grant reporting for important funders and guide revisions as needed.
Budgetary Management & Agency Administration
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Coordinate with the chief financial officer on financial matters.
- Develop departmental and revenue budgets with participation of relevant team members and in conjunction with the president.
- Develop and maintain policies/procedures and systems to enhance efficient operations consistent with our mission, guiding principles, and best business practices.
- Support the program side of advocacy and public relations when needed.
- Highly organized administrator with an eye to systems.
- Strong communication, strategic, and leadership skills.
- The capacity and desire to work in an environment of consensus-based decision-making and highly effective cross-disciplinary cooperation. Must be team oriented.
- Proven track record in senior management, with supervision of staff, and an ability to manage multiple tasks, especially on a long-distance basis.
- Values are consistent with Anera’s, which are based on collaboration, innovation, high ethical standards, accuracy, and a driven desire to make a difference in the lives of families throughout the Middle East.
How to Apply
- Minimum of twelve (12) years’ experience and success in the following:
- Raising multi-million dollar from grantors, donors, & funders.
- Proposal writing and grant solicitation.
- International relief and development.
- Experience working in non-profit business development and resource generation.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required; related master’s degree or above preferred.
- Knowledge of the Middle East (preferred).
- Able to travel to Jerusalem, Gaza, West Bank, Lebanon, Jordan, and other appropriate countries in the region.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Application for Senior Director, New Business Development in the subject line. Open until filled. We are reviewing applications as they come in and will begin interviews the week of August 13.
About the Organization
Anera is one of the oldest American non-profits working in Palestine and Lebanon. Strictly non-political and non-sectarian, the organization delivers humanitarian relief in times of crisis and development programs that have a long-lasting impact on refugees and poor communities. In fiscal year 2017, with a staff of 150 professionals, Anera delivered $70 million in emergency, health, education and community development programs.