Jhpiego (3879): Appointment of Senior Director, New Program Development
This individual will work with a team of new program development specialists and professionals from across the organization in a dynamic, fast-paced office charged with raising resources for the design and implementation of innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to break down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
The successful candidate will have a background in global health and possess substantive, recent field experience with proven strategy development, innovative program design and proposal skills, particularly with US government and other international donor agencies. She/he will possess strong self-confidence, assertiveness, persistence and creativity. Along with the NPD Vice President and other key stakeholders, the Senior Director will be responsible for developing and executing Jhpiego’s NPD strategy to achieve key measures of success within the Jhpiego strategic plan. She/he will play a lead role in energizing and re-engineering new program development approaches, particularly across the operations of leads identification and development, proposal preparation and transition to implementation. All such efforts should optimize use of technical, program and NPD staff engagement across home office and the field, contributing to both proactive and opportunistic pursuit of opportunities. The position will play a key role in constantly improving approaches and processes to maximize competitiveness, helping to both shape donor agendas and assure responsiveness. The successful candidate will possess strong interpersonal skills for both internal and external relationship management. She/he will actively guide pursuit of organizational program development priorities, help manage proposal volume, direct leads development for high priority bids, provide capture management leadership, and facilitate high level bid decisions. The successful candidate will participate in inter-office NPD initiatives.
- Energize and upgrade new program development approaches and content to ensure success in meeting organizational priorities
- This role will report into the Vice President of New Program Development and supervise a team of the New Program Development staff including the New Program Development Director
- Lead, along with the NPD VP and senior staff, NPD operationalization of the Jhpiego strategic plan, setting of NPD performance targets and meeting of those targets
- Provide strategic guidance to Regional Directors and field leaders (Country Directors, Project Directors) in positioning and capturing new program opportunities
- Drive NPD priorities and initiatives between units, across donors, countries and technical areas in collaboration with Jhpiego leadership and Regional Directors
- Assess and/or facilitate high level bid and no-bid decisions with key leadership staff, analyzing technical, programmatic and business opportunity and risk as appropriate
- Represent Jhpiego at professional and donor meetings, conferences and presentations and actively work with other departments, including programs, communications, technical leadership and innovations, to elevate Jhpiego’s visibility in priority strategic areas
- Lead and/or support the design and execution of NPD related workshops and trainings based on organizational needs.
- Exercise budget authority up to agreed-upon ceiling
- Oversee and/or contribute to the development of annual work plan and provide budget inputs
- Oversee routine review and updates to finalized proposal resource guide modules; identify ways in which to improve NPD functions at HQ and field by enhancing capacity building efforts across organization in leads, management, and post award transition
- Assure proposal teams are set up for success
- Identify lessons learned and facilitate course corrections
- Advanced degree in global public health or related development field and/or equivalent job experience
- 4+ recent years’ in-country field-based recent experience in a leadership position with a proven track record of increasing resources and growing programs
- 12+ years substantive experience with a combination of new program development strategy, proposal planning, project design, project management and related writing in global public health for international donor agencies
- Clear insights into effective project implementation based on field experience.
- Demonstrated success building organizational systems to be more effective and efficient
- Demonstrated success from hands-on-capture and proposal management experience
- Successful experience structuring, writing and/or revising substantial portions of complex, multi-partner, multiple technical area proposals
- Demonstrated experience formulating and/or facilitating theories of change which have achieved effective implementation – whether for internal organizational development or external project implementation
- Adept at formulating actionable problem statements
- Knowledge and understanding of global health priorities needs, especially related to universal health care, health systems, service delivery, and/or other key technical health areas (MNH, Family Planning, HIV, gender, social behavior change communication, etc.)
- Demonstrated success in winning competitive bids from US Government sources, including USAID, and other key international health donors such as DFID and the Canadians
- Demonstrated capability to add value across the project cycle, including organizational positioning, leads development, partnering, proposal preparation and post award stewardship
- Practical experience and skills related to business plan development and analysis, including cost effectiveness and/or value for money
- Experience facilitating project co-creation exercises using human-centered design
- Experience managing proposal/program teams with a focus on delivering results
- Direct supervision of at least four reports
- Strong problem-solving, creativity, decision-making, and supervision skills; ability to work collectively as a team member as well as make difficult decisions
- Experience working with organizational support units (HR, finance, travel, etc.) to collectively problem solve to bring to bear best practices (i.e. in recruitment, costing, proposal team travel) related to proposal development/submissions
- Ability to travel up to 30%
- Successful experience with opportunities to introduce and scale-up new products and/or approaches from UNITAID, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation etc., which include market development and shaping, a plus
- Practical experience with data analysis and predictive analytics a plus
- Proficient French, Spanish or Portuguese language skills a plus
About the Organization
Jhpiego is an international, nonprofit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For more than 42 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to ensure high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
How to Apply
For further information and to apply please visit www.perrettlaver.com/candidates -
Quote reference number 3879.
The closing date for applications is January 7th, 2019.
This position is based in Jhpiego’s Baltimore headquarters. Compensation for this role is competitive. As an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, Jhpiego employees are eligible for Johns Hopkins University benefits including the Tuition Grant Plan which pays for 50% of each dependent child's full-time, undergraduate tuition at any accredited, degree-granting institution.