CARE, a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty, is seeking a dynamic and entrepreneurial leader to broker unique and powerful partnerships, build coalitions, and generate diverse resources to bring breakthrough ideas to life. The Senior Director will drive transformative philanthropic investments that enable CARE’s continued innovation and growth. The ideal candidate will be a magnetic leader who demonstrates resourcefulness, creativity, and entrepreneurialism in forging new relationships with a myriad of stakeholders. This person will thrive in ambiguity and be known for a balance of creativity and operational excellence – being able to take a glimmer of an idea and drive it into reality. The ideal candidate will come to CARE with a strong network and understanding of philanthropy in Silicon Valley, as well as expertise in working with start-up CEOs and tech-oriented companies.
The Senior Director will be based in the Bay Area and report to the Executive Director for the Western Region and collaborate closely with the Chief Innovation Officer and Executive Director of Corporate Partnerships. This position will be instrumental in working with senior leadership to build CARE’s profile in the region by speaking at industry events, positioning and packaging CARE’s innovation and next-gen products and programs in ways that resonate with the unique interests of West Coast funders, and developing compelling employee engagement opportunities. The Senior Director will also help launch a Bay Area Committee for CARE, securing individual gifts of $10,000 and higher, and corporate gifts starting at $25,000 with multi-million-dollar partnership potential.
Partnerships & Growth Strategies
● Working across departments, engage with senior leadership to create and implement a growth and partnership strategy that drives significant new revenue to CARE and advances the organization’s ability to achieve impact at scale.
● Partner with senior leadership to strengthen CARE’s West Coast fundraising strategy to ensure maximum growth and potential.
● Partner with senior leadership to refine and implement a newly-devised strategy to increase corporate engagement in the Bay Area/Silicon Valley.
● Contribute to CARE’s West Coast brand positioning and events strategy.
Fundraising and External Relations
● Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of donors and prospects — including individual, corporate, and institutional partners — with the capacity to make five and six figure gifts. Initial portfolio goals will include raising approximately $2-3 million annually.
● Position and raise funds for CARE’s cutting-edge innovation portfolio including Scale X Design, the digital CARE Package, and Embark.
● Develop a high-touch portfolio of corporate donors, including Fortune 100/500 and companies with a significant Bay Area presence. Prospect with tech/start-ups, as well as organizations including Founders Pledge/Pledge 1%, Tech For Good (Impact Cloud), SoCap, and identify pre-IPO companies and other sectors CARE should approach.
● Identify high-potential, multifaceted partnerships that generate business and community value. Solicit philanthropic support and sponsorships. Build cause-related marketing and employee engagement partnerships.
● Engage and inspire internal and external stakeholders in CARE’s vision for change.
● Research current and future business trends and companies, with a focus on the Bay Area ecosystem. Present products that uniquely resonate with Silicon Valley funders such as CARE Social Ventures, Innovation programs, tech-enabled support (securing partnerships that include both in-kind resources and funding).
● Partner with senior leadership and Board members to convene and engage CARE supporters through strategic events, speaking engagements, and gatherings throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
● Serve as the “face of CARE” for companies and impact investors on the West Coast, with the expectation of engaging in heavy donor cultivation in San Francisco, followed by Seattle and Los Angeles. Meet specific goals around touchpoints, including in-person meetings and proposal submissions.
● Establish and maintain strategic relationships with colleagues across CARE. Engage Program staff in donor outreach and provide mentorship on donor cultivation to them as needed. Participate regularly in Major Gifts, Corporate and Innovation team meetings.
● Ensure donor and prospect data is properly recorded in the database and that all donor information is maintained with respect to confidentiality. Provide timely and accurate reports to senior leadership on all fundraising activities.
● Perform other duties as related or assigned, including special projects and possible management of volunteers, interns, and other development staff.
About the Organization
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.