1. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
2. Role Objective:
TechnoServe is seeking a Senior Director to establish and lead a new Global Treasury function based at our Washington, DC headquarters office. The treasurer will be responsible for cash management, liquidity risk management, ensuring adequate funding for our field office operations, minimizing foreign exchange risk, investment management and securing required financing. The Senior Manager - Treasury will also advise TechnoServe on policy issues related to new sources of revenue and support initiatives to extend TechnoServe’s reach.
3. Position Description:
Primary activities include:
Establishment and Installation of Treasury Function
Lead the creation and systemization of a centralized treasury function, setting objectives for the department in line with TNS values and vision
Responsibility for continuous process improvements and efficiencies within the treasury function, including leading finance team projects and activities
Lead the creation and development of global treasury reporting metrics, dashboards and processes which flow from field offices to headquarters
Document processes and identify process improvements to streamline workflow
Manage TechnoServe’s liquidity to ensure that there is adequate cash resources to support operations and capital expenditure requirements.
Report on monthly organizational cash forecast, noting variances where appropriate
Manage processing wire transfers to and from field offices, other external payments, internal transfers.
Advise operations teams on managing program-related cash inflows and outflows.
Advise TechnoServe’s executive management team on the cash implications of annual and long-term planning.
Develop, enhance and maintain global cash management strategies, policies and procedures.
Support the CFO with new capital expenditure funding decisions.
Global Banking Relationship
Maintain and manage TechnoServe’s bank account portfolio. Ensure appropriate approvals gained before making changes.
Review and maintain domestic and international banking relationships.
Rationalize bank account structure and improve operating efficiency and control
Improve the current processes, procedures, policies, controls and audits.
Collaborate and influence other functions inside and outside the company –accounting, tax, legal, FP&A and banking partners.
Create and maintain cash flow forecast models (including the interest income model) to ensure that funds are available when needed within the various subsidiaries within the new treasury management system.
Review & analyze data for presentation to the board.
Managing Foreign Currency Fluctuation Risk
Prepare monthly report to CFO on foreign currency exposure.
Review foreign currency management policies and ensure processes are in place to support compliance with policy.
Ensure foreign currency fluctuation risk is minimized.
Provide input into the development of treasury management KPIs and appropriate methods to monitor and evaluate performance against those KPIs.
Develop, review and maintain a system of policies and procedures that impose an adequate level of control over treasury activities.
Monitor tax and agency funding payments.
Annual budgeting of finance costs and monitoring actuals against budget.
4. Required qualifications, skills and experience
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree, with a minimum of ten years’ experience, or master’s degree with a minimum of seven years’ experience including treasury experience and accounting technical knowledge. Candidate should have demonstrated experience establishing treasury systems and functions, high level of knowledge with financial software, and motivation towards continual process improvement.
Skills and Experience
- Advanced Excel (including pivot tables) and PowerPoint skills;
- Experience with Serenic Navigator, Microsoft Dynamics or equivalent financial software required
- Public Accountant or Treasury Professional Certification is required.
- Ability to learn quickly and work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience establishing, adhering to and rolling out treasury systems
High attention to detail, accurate reporting, quality assurance and control
- Knowledge of Fund Accounting, GAAP, GASB and FASB standards, financial reporting requirements for non-profit organizations, internal control standards and procedures.
- Prior general ledger experience required in a non-profit organization with at least $50M in assets with major and direct responsibilities for the maintenance of the general ledger, generation of GAAP based financial statements, financial statement audits.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and develop relationships internally and externally at all levels to manage multi-functional and multi-national teams, define process improvements and coordinate implementation.
- Fluent English required
- Critical thinker who can identify process improvement opportunities