Over the past eighteen months, Save the Children and Save the Children Action Network have seen significant gains in our brand awareness and a growing number of active supporters. The American public associates us as a leader on children’s rights and helping the world’s most marginalized children.
By leveraging and realigning our assets—brand, media coverage, supporter lists, channels and engagement opportunities—we can create a singular and powerful supporter experience that provides multiple opportunities to create impact. We can give people an opportunity to join our mission for children and stay with us—donating, advocating and volunteering—throughout their lifetimes. And we can grow our movement from 1 million to 3 million supporters by the end of 2025.
The Marketing, Communications and Fundraising Division, reporting to the CMO, is a highly dynamic and collaborative team that is dedicated to driving better integration across the agency. In a nutshell, that means we are all committed to creating a clear and compelling brand positioning, driving more awareness of our advocacy positions and programmatic impact, providing multiple touchpoints for engaging with our organization and ultimately encouraging long term financial commitment to Save The Children. We want to inspire relationships, not transactions – not just with the American Public, but across all of our key audiences – corporate partners, Large Public Institutions, Policymakers, and Employees.
The Senior Director, Web Strategy and Operations is responsible for the strategic planning, operations and implementation of optimization and improvements to Save the Children’s websites, a critical channel supporting fundraising and other key organizational priorities. You will work with the division and other teams to devise the strategic direction and detailed planning for the website, and will be responsible for meeting website performance goals, managing budget expenditures, and leading a team of digital specialists.
What You’ll Be Doing
Website Strategy & Operations (30%)
- Developing goals for overall financial objectives and creating tactical plans to achieve those goals, both directly and in/with support of other teams.
- Overseeing all website production
- Determining and acting on areas for efficiency gains in the overall operation of the website
- Prioritizing and managing the website development project pipeline
- Setting User Experience (UX) and Digital Experience strategy and vision, and communicating those to IT counterparts
Website Testing & Optimization (30%)
- Determining the strategy and managing processes for constantly improving performance of the websites.
- Managing and growing the A/B and Multivariate Testing Roadmap
- Leading digital product innovation and testing
- Creating data insights and plans to action those insights
- Leading personalization and experience targeting
Search Engine Optimization and Content Management (15%)
- Overseeing content creation, positioning, measurement and optimization
- Driving the overarching strategy and measurement for SEO and Inbound Marketing
- Identifying immediate and long-term SEO opportunities, partnering with teams to build content and leverage those opportunities for website organic traffic growth
- Aligning content plans to larger Agency content strategy
Team and Resource Management/Development (15%)
- Managing a team of digital specialists
- Developing measurable goals for the team, inclusive of the Senior Director
- Creating plans and opportunities for team development, growth, and visibility
- Developing ongoing plan for team to include feedback cycles, communication (and accountability) of goals, cross-training, etc.
- Managing external partners, including contractors and agencies, as needed, to supplement the team’s structure and achieve overall goals
Stakeholder Management (10%)
- Developing strong working relationships with all key stakeholders
- Understanding business objectives of stakeholders delivered through the website and reflecting these in the website strategy
- Communicating and reporting to stakeholders on progress in a transparent and comprehensive manner
- Performing other duties as may be required
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent experience, plus at least ten (10) years of relevant experience
- Proven experience in web and digital marketing and management of an e-Commerce or fundraising website program with responsibility for budget, revenue, and ambitious financial revenue targets.
- Demonstrated level of technical and/ or managerial knowledge, skills, and experience to direct the operational activities of a unit or team, or provide technical advice, guidance and management
- Proven experience with P&L responsibility for a revenue focused website
- Proven experience with A/B and Multivariate testing
- Demonstrated experience in website analysis and optimization in a transactional environment
- Professional proficiency in spoken and written English
- Professional proficiency in MS Office suite
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate successfully with individuals and teams at all levels
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering an environment of diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- Experience with Adobe Marketing Cloud
- Experience with Analytics and A/B testing software
- Experience working in a fundraising or high volume ecommerce organization
Why you should join the Save the Children Team…
Save the Children US offers outstanding benefits that include health, dental, vision and life insurances, pet insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program, 403(b), generous vacation, personal sick leave, family leave, parental/adoption leave, commuter benefits, dress for your day, and much more.
Click here to learn more about how Save the Children US will invest in YOU!
About the Organization
About Save the Children
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Our work for children and their families requires that we commit—at every opportunity—to work together to identify and dismantle persistent systemic and structural racism, inequality, and any other forms of discrimination in this country and beyond. As an anti-racist organization, Save the Children will not tolerate discrimination in any form—in our employment practices, amongst our staff, in our leadership or toward the people we serve. We stand in solidarity with all people to fight for equal rights, justice, inclusion, and belonging.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom we are in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation.
Save the Children is committed to minimizing safety and security risks for our valued employees, ensuring all are given training, support and information to reduce their risk exposure while maximizing the impact of our programs for children and families. Our shared duty, both agency and individual, is to seek and maintain safe working conditions for all.