Devex is assisting an international development finance institution in its search for a Senior Disaster Risk Management Specialist for its Climate Change & Disaster Risk Management Division (SDCD), Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC) department, to be based at its headquarters in Manila, Philippines. This is an International Staff Level 5 role with the selected candidate appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
The Senior Disaster Risk Management Specialist will drive implementation of organization’s policy and operational plan pertaining to disaster risk management (DRM). He/she will provide advice, expertise and technical support to operations to mainstream DRM operations and ensure bank-wide implementation of the integrated disaster risk management (IDRM) approach. The incumbent will report to Director, SDCD concurrently Chief of Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management Thematic Group and will supervise National and Administrative Staff.
a. Policies, Strategies, and Frameworks
- Provide technical inputs to the review and update of bank’s policy and strategies on DRM.
- Lead technical input for country programming to ensure DRM considerations are incorporated in Country Partnership Strategies/Country Partnership Strategy Midterm Reviews and Regional Cooperation Strategies/Regional Cooperation Strategy Midterm Reviews.
- Support the promotion, implementation and monitoring of IDRM approach in organization’s operations, and lead especially in the context of CCA-DRR linkages, within the organization.
b. Operational Advice and Support
- Provide technical advice on integrating DRM considerations in programs and projects across sectors and themes, identify necessary DRM actions, and actions to strengthen DRM-CCA linkages.
- Lead technical support to operations departments on the development of DRM projects, including participation in project teams.
- Lead technical support to operations departments in processing emergency assistance-related support in the aftermath of a disaster, including participation in project teams.
c. Mobilizing and managing DRM finances
- Supporting operations department access resources for DRM, including from the IDRM Fund.
- Take a lead role in managing implementation of the IDRM Fund and exploring mobilization of future resources.
- Take a lead role in exploring mobilization of external resources for DRM and CCA related investments at the local level.
d. Knowledge Generation and Sharing
- Develop knowledge products (i.e. DRM considerations in sectors/themes, assessments, good practice, innovative solutions, and guidelines), services and partnerships to implement the objectives of the organization’s strategic direction.
- Conduct awareness training and capacity building programs for staff, executing agencies of developing member countries (DMCs), and other concerned parties
- Actively participate in external networks and global and regional partnerships and inter-agency relations and contribute to knowledge sharing and harmonization efforts through conferences, external publications and others.
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, in engineering, development planning, economics, social sciences or related fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant DRM related professional experience, including international work experience, with good knowledge of the Asia-Pacific region.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of DRM.
- Familiarity with operations, policies and procedures of multilateral financial institutions, and experience in processing and implementation of investment projects is preferable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.