International Development Group LLC is an international development consulting firm that assists donors, governments, and the private sector to create and take advantage of opportunities for sustainable, broad-based economic development and poverty reduction. IDG provides entrepreneurs and policymakers with the practical tools needed to achieve real and measurable impact for their communities and countries. IDG assistance programs aim to build the capacity, skills, and knowledge of local individuals and institutions in the public, private, and not-for-profit sectors, fostering synergies between local knowledge and international experience.
International Development Group LLC is seeking qualified candidates for the role of Senior Economic Policy Advisor/Economist for its Business Enabling Environment (BEE) activity in Armenia. The BEE activity is a Buy-In from USAID Armenia to USAID’s Economic Development, Governance, and Enterprise Growth (EDGE) project.
The purpose of the two year BEE activity is to support the Government of Armenia (GOAM), the Armenian private sector, civil society, and other relevant stakeholders to improve the policies, laws, and regulations (PLR) necessary to foster a climate for competitiveness, investment, and trade through public-private dialogue. It is expected that this activity will contribute to improved enabling environment for trade and investment and increased competitiveness of Armenian private sector in a way that will promote inclusive and sustainable economic recovery and growth and move Armenia along its path to self-reliance and economic security.
The BEE Activity has two components: 1. strengthening the GOAM’s capacity to develop, implement, and enforce PLR; and 2. capacity building to strengthen public-private dialogue to identify, develop, implement, and enforce PLR.
The Senior Economic Policy Advisor/Economist will serve as the project’s economic advisor, delivering technical assistance and providing advisory services to the GOAM. S/he will support the Project Director by providing technical and management advice on activities designed to improve the policy environment for trade and investment and other areas within the scope of ABEE. The Advisor is also expected to assist the ABEE team in finetuning and finalization of the Investment Roadmap for Armenia. S/he will support and facilitate ABEE activities to improve policies, laws, and regulations (PLR) in Armenia and provide expert advice and support to the key Government of Armenia counterparts. The Senior Economic Policy Advisor/Economist will engage with public and private sector partners and stakeholders in Armenia to facilitate the drafting, implementation, and enforcement of policy reforms in ABEE areas of support.
The Senior Economic Policy Advisor/Economist will report to the Project Director or her designee. The position is remote, with a possible travel to Yerevan, Armenia if COVID-19 situation improves.
This position is short-term, and the level of effort will be 60 days within a 6-month period, with the possibility of extension. The work will be conducted remotely with possibilities of traveling to Armenia if feasible.
· Assess and analyze economic factors and economic policies that will drive investments to key priority areas declared by GOAM and identify challenges;
· Develop recommendations on the necessary policy responses to drive investments to key priority areas declared by GOAM
· Support the team in overall project policy assistance to improve the regulatory management systems, procedures, and institutions in Armenia
· Provide technical and management support to the Project Director and the Component 1 Team Lead in providing high level economic and public policy advice and analysis
· Engage in the dialogue with USAID mission, Armenian counterparts, and project consultants on economic analyses and economic growth discussions
· Draft and/or contribute to relevant chapters of various ABEE deliverables including the Investment Roadmap.
· Prepare presentations/report/briefs and other materials as necessary related various aspects of ABEE implementation and the selected areas/sectors of support.
· Provide high quality written analyses and strategic recommendations
· Other duties as requested.
10+ years of experience on issues related to economic policy reform, country investment attraction strategy/roadmap development.
· Advanced degree (Master’s or equivalent) from a recognized university in economics
· Experience in working with donor-funded projects is required
· Experience in working in Armenia or the region is preferred, but not required
· Experience in serving in an advisory capacity to high-level government officials on economic policy and/or trade and investment issues preferred
· Professional level of verbal and written fluency in English required.