STATEMENT OF DUTIES
General Statement of Purpose of the Contract:
The Election Senior Advisor is responsible for helping to oversee USAID elections assistance, coordinating elections assistance activities with other donors, and leading a USAID team of one - two local election experts. In addition, s/he provides technical assistance to the National Ethiopian Electoral Board (NEBE) in the development of a detailed strategic plan for capacity development as well as work plans. As a member of the Office of Democracy and Governance (ODG), the Advisor reports to the ODG Director and participates in high level and technical meetings with participants from the US Embassy, international organizations and foreign embassies, Government of Ethiopia (GOE), and private and non-governmental organizations.
Statement of Duties to be Performed:
Program Design and Management
1. Leads team of one - two local elections experts in the design and management of elections assistance programming for Ethiopia. Also, provides technical advisory support to ODG on the engagement of national and international stakeholders in USAID/Ethiopia’s electoral support activity.
2. Provides detailed technical assistance on capacity building and electoral operational support for national, regional, and local elections including voter registration, delimitation of district boundaries, field operations, public outreach and communications, logistics, security coordination, and electoral dispute resolution.
3. Provides comprehensive written analyses and reports on the performance of the National Elections Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) and other electoral management bodies.
4. Oversees the implementation of the strategic plan for capacity development and electoral reform and provides comprehensive technical guidance for better implementation of the plan.
5. Provides technical assistance for the smooth introduction of the reform agenda and work with governmental and international counterparts to ensure its effective implementation.
6. Informs decision making by stakeholders on the need for civil/voter registration reform in Ethiopia and assists in the development and implementation of a strategic multiyear plan for civil/voter registration reform.
7. Provides detailed weekly updates (oral and written) on the status of the election activities in Ethiopia and advises the Mission/USG interagency on better and effective implementation of the electoral efforts in the country.
8. Oversees USAID assistance resources for t`he electoral process in Ethiopia and the work of elections implementing partners.
1. Drawing on his/her experience and knowledge, the Senior Elections Advisor provides expertise in elections administration best practice to the NEBE and other GOE agencies, the USG interagency Ethiopian elections support team, ODG, USAID elections implementing partners, other donors and international organizations supporting the administration and oversight of elections in Ethiopia.
2. Represents USAID in meetings with the GOE, USG interagency, implementing partners, international organizations, and other stakeholders, and prepares reports and analysis for ODG and Mission leadership.
3. Supervisory Relationship: The Senior Elections Expert will report directly to the ODG Director or his/her designee.
4. Supervisory Controls: Leads team of up to two local elections experts in the design and management of elections assistance programming for Ethiopia.
The work requested does not involve undue physical demands.
Note: No in-person appointments or telephone calls will be entertained, unless you are required to have more information about this solicitation.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
Applications will be initially screened by the USAID/Ethiopia Human Resources Office to determine whether applicants have met the advertised minimum qualifications. A list of qualified applicants will be referred to ODG for further consideration and screening.
EDUCATION: Graduate degree in law, political science, international/development affairs, public administration, public policy area studies or a related field, and 10 years of successful work experience in the area of international development and elections administration is required. – OR – Doctoral degree in law, political science, international/development affairs, public administration, public policy, area studies or a related field and five years of successful work experience in the area of international development and elections administration.
WORK EXPERIENCE: Ten years of successful work experience in the area of international development and election administration is required. For a Doctoral degree, five years of successful work experience in the area of international development and elections administration is required.
SUBMITTING AN OFFER
For your application to be considered, the following documents must be submitted:
1. Eligible offerors are required to complete and submit the offer form AID 309- 2,“Offeror Information for Personal Services Contracts with Individuals, “available at http://www.usaid.gov/forms.
2. Offers must be received by the closing date and time specified in Section I, item 3, and submitted to the Point of Contact in Section I.
3. To ensure consideration of offers for the intended position, Offerors must prominently reference the solicitation number in the offer submission.
4. Letter of application and current resume.
5. Application must be submitted ONLY via firstname.lastname@example.org and the email subject must say –: 72066320R00013- Senior Election Advisor. Be sure to include your name and the solicitation number at the top of each page.
6. Please submit the application only once; and
7. Late and incomplete applications will not be considered; the application must be submitted before or on the closing date at 5 pm local Ethiopia time.
Deadline: 15 August 2020