Are you passionate about driving programs focused on foreign assistance? Do you want to be part of an organization that offers meaningful assignments and opportunities to expand your skills and expertise? At Dexis, you will experience a corporate culture of inclusiveness, fairness, and trust. You will be given the means and mentorship needed to succeed, and your creativity will be rewarded.
About the Position
Dexis is seeking an experienced Senior Engineer/Construction Manager for the USAID/Somalia Locally Legitimate Stabilization (LLS) project. The goal of this project is to increase Somalia’s stability through participatory processes that promote good governance and community cohesion; increase confidence in governance based on equitable participation in decision making and management of community assets; and empower community and government representatives to engage with private sector and development actors in a collaborative process for community growth.
This is a full-time position supporting an anticipated five-year project based in Mogadishu, Somalia. This position is contingent upon award.
The Senior Engineer/Construction Manager leads the technical components of community driven development construction activities. S/he works with the SMT and field staff to determine if/when/how to initiate construction activities that support LLS objectives. As the lead on engineering and construction s/he is the bridge between what is desired and what is practically achievable. Knowledge of the constraints in Somalia is key to ensuring timely delivery of construction commitments, avoiding high-risk endeavors and disappointing communities with unfulfilled promises. S/he manages the sub-contracts, making sure the sub-contractors follow all applicable USAID and USG laws. S/he interfaces with USAID/Somalia’s third-party monitoring firm to provide necessary documents and access to work sites.
- Provide Quality Assurance/Quality Control oversight for SOWs, technical specifications, design drawings, BoQs and estimates for construction sub-contract tenders
- Ensures LLS and its sub-contractors follow international best practices in design and construction
- Design and/or certify structural designs to all applicable USG standards
- Have the authority to coordinate all site construction activities
- If sub-contracts for design are used, serves as the focal point for those projects
- Supervise all field personnel as required to successfully complete the project on schedule and within budget
- Ensure high quality of work and compliance to the Contractors Quality Control plan
- Supervise all trade and field personnel
- Be responsible for the construction safety practices with all on-site activities.
- Ten (10) years of relevant professional construction, project scheduling, material procurement, and field supervision experience, in a similar development setting.
- Professional certification as Professional Engineer (P. E.) or comparable certification from another country or international organization.
- The CM shall have demonstrated experience in leadership roles, strategic planning, and budget management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with Somali language considered a benefit.
- Degree in Engineering / Architecture / Construction Management.
Are you looking for a company that offers meaningful program assignments and opportunities to develop professional skills and expertise? At Dexis, staff are empowered to be part of the decision-making process and collaborate with colleagues and management across the company to satisfy our clients. We create transparency in our operations with our clients and employees; and we offer our people opportunities to grow and challenge themselves in meaningful ways. Dexis follows a “find a way or make a way” business directive, and we’re paving the way for innovative management solutions in the global development and security assistance arenas worldwide. As a Dexis employee you will be challenged, empowered, and mentored. That’s how Dexis goes “all in.” How will you?
If you are passionate about this opportunity, submit your application by clicking the apply for this job online button.
Only those applicants who meet the above criteria will be contacted for interview.
Dexis is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled or Vietnam Era veteran of the US Armed Forces.