Senior Evaluation/Research Specialists for Mid-Term Performance Evaluations. The Mitchell Group, Inc. (TMG), a US-based international development firm is currently partnering with USAID/Ethiopia and the Government of Ethiopia/Federal Ministry of Health (GOE/FMOH) in implementing the USAID/Ethiopia-funded Transform: MELA activity. One of the key tasks of the Transform-MELA Activity is to conduct Mid-Term Performance Evaluations of Transform portfolio of activities: Transform: Primary Health Care (Transform: PHC), Transform Health in Developing Regions (Transform: HDR), and Transform Water, Sanitation and Health (Transform: WASH) in Ethiopia.
USAID/Ethiopia recognizes that midterm performance evaluations of Transform activities is necessary for adaptive management and mid-course corrections which increase the likelihood of the activity meeting its objectives and contributing to the larger EPCMD goals. USAID/Ethiopia has therefore commissioned Transform: MELA to conduct mid-term performance evaluations of the three Transform implementing mechanisms of the Transform portfolio of activities noted above.
TMG requires Senior Evaluation/Research Specialists to provide technical support to Transform: MELA in the conduct Mid-Term Performance Evaluations of Transform Implementing Mechanisms.
The Senior Evaluation/Research Specialists will take full responsibility for managing the teams, organizing its work, and ensuring quality control and delivery of a final report acceptable to USAID standards. The Senior Evaluation/Research Specialists will participate in the Team Planning Meeting and other preparation meetings as well as providing leadership in finalising evaluation instruments and tool, conducting interviews, providing leadership in report writing and presentations. Each Senior Evaluation/Research Specialist will be assigned to one of the Transform Activity evaluations depending on their specialty. The Transform activities include: Transform: PHC, Transform: HDR & Transform: WASH.
Period of Performance:
The assignment will be accomplished during the period starting June 15, 2019 – September 30, 2019.
Qualifications and Experience:
The Senior Evaluation/Research Specialists will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- The Senior Evaluation Specialists will be international/national experts,
- A postgraduate degree in Public Health, international development, evaluation, statistics, economics, or a related social science field.
- S/he will have at least 10 years’ experience, 5 of which should be working in a developing country context in the field of public health or a similar nature.
- S/he will have demonstrated experience in designing, conducting and managing evaluations and/or managing public health
- The candidate will have strong analytical and report writing skills.
- S/he must have experience leading large-scale studies.
A sound knowledge and understanding of USAID programming approaches and methodologies will be an added advantage.
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Pre-Field Work Briefing
- Participate in the Team Planning Meeting and other preparation meetings as well as in selection of appropriate data collection methodologies, sampling and creation of corresponding interview instruments;
- Review documents as part of literature review and prepare a summary report of the literature review;
- Present inception report and approaches detailing the evaluation design to USAID in an oral presentation and review meeting in which USAID may raise questions and issues and request adjustments, if necessary, to that plan prior to the start of field work. This meeting will be held within 1 work day after the submission of the team’s inception report which USAID will approve, request adjustments or reject the team’s inception report and evaluation design within 1 work day after this meeting is held.
- Field Work
- Manage the data collection process including allocation of tasks to team members and ensuring the quality of the data being collected;
- Conduct interviews with identified respondents including USAID/Ethiopia, FMOH, Ministry of water, Transform IPs management, Regional Health Bureaus or others as identified;
- Each Senior Evaluation/Research Specialist will take leadership in drafting one Activity evaluation report and presentation.
- Post-Field Work Review
- Take leadership in the briefings/oral presentations and reviews which serve as a checkpoint on the completeness of the mid-term evaluation team’s data and analysis on each of the evaluation questions and on the clarity of the flow of the team’s presentation of its findings, conclusions and recommendations.
- Draft Report(s)
- Take leadership in drafting the evaluation report, preparing in accordance with USAID’s “How to Prepare and Evaluation Report guidance”.
- Debrief the wider audience that include, USAID team, implementing partner (s), FMOH, and any other interested stakeholder.
- Final Report(s)
- Lead the finalization of the report by incorporating USAID and stakeholder comments, and submit the report to TMG/Transform: MELA electronical
- Submit all the quantitative and qualitative data sets obtained as a result of the evaluation to TMG/Transform: MELA including all documents, slides, etc.
Please send relevant CV/resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please indicate “Senior Evaluation/Research Specialists - Ethiopia”. CV/resumes will be reviewed as they are received, early application is encouraged. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
About the Organization
The Mitchell Group, Inc. (TMG) is a global solutions leader providing meaningful impact and sustainable solutions to development efforts affecting the lives of ordinary people. We are a veteran-owned business with over 30 years of international development program experience. TMG has performed highly successful, long-term contracts for US government clients such as USAID and National Institutes of Health (NIH) in supporting their various projects in multiple countries on 6 continents throughout the world. Many of those projects have been in Africa, where TMG has worked in 38 of its countries and currently has offices in Ghana, Burkina Faso, Niger, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, and Ethiopia. Through these projects, TMG has gained broad, multi-sector experience in managing more than 100 US government contracts. We work with a large group of highly qualified experts whose specialized skills provide expertise to perform services in various technical areas, logistical management, financial management, administration, project management, MIS services, capacity building, training, and other sectors.
TMG has been a leading contractor in assisting the US National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and other domestic and international agencies with their important international biomedical research efforts to find cures for such human scourges as Malaria, AIDS and Ebola. TMG has also assisted USAID in successfully performing major contracts implementing its international development programs in such functional areas as Monitoring and Evaluation, Education and Training, Health Services, Countering Violent Extremism, Disaster Management, Agriculture and Food Security, and Outreach and Communications.