The SES will provide technical and management leadership of and support for impact evaluations, implementation research and other evidence programs. This includes supporting the preparation of proposal materials for fundraising, writing program documents, reviewing grant proposals, quality-assuring 3ie-funded studies and managing external reviewers and other consultants. S/he is expected to assume full management responsibility for these evidence programs once established. The SES also conducts research, provides technical assistance for capacity building and writes content for publications, social media and 3ie’s website. S/he will lead and/or participate in high level events, conferences and workshops. In various capacities, the SES communicates and negotiates directly with funders and represents 3ie to policymakers and researchers.
The successful candidate will have significant impact evaluation research experience and will have demonstrated expertise implementing research and translating research evidence for decision-makers in L&MICs. We are seeking a highly diplomatic and entrepreneurial individual, who is comfortable taking initiative, and who thrives in a matrix-managed, fast-paced environment.
The SES will report directly to the director of the Washington Office, will serve on the WO management team and will supervise and mentor junior staff. S/he will be working in a matrixed environment and will be expected to establish strong and collaborative relations with staff across all 3ie offices, with researchers and other stakeholders in the field and with 3ie members located in L&MICs. International and domestic travel is expected at approximately 20 per cent of time.
Evaluation research and technical assistance
• Contribute to and oversee impact evaluation and implementation research grants across a range of development sectors, including, health systems, health services, nutrition and related social sector programs, among others;
• Conduct and advise on scoping studies, formative research, process evaluations, replication studies, systematic reviews and evidence gap maps;
• Assist in the management of WO’s technical assistance portfolio, including writing specifications for professional service contracts, recruiting consultants, standardizing products and reports and quality assuring products and services;
• Provide technical assistance to key 3ie stakeholders, on topics including but not limited to capacity-building, evaluation methods and study design, database development, research transparency initiatives and evidence uptake and use; and
• Work with consultants and stakeholders in the field and 3ie staff to ensure documentation of 3ie’s evaluation programmes;
Project management and grant administration
• Provide program management leadership and support for various research and professional services grants and contracts to ensure the strategic, programmatic, technical, financial and contractual integrity from project start-up through implementation and completion;
• In collaboration with the program manager, ensure that grant and contract implementation and spending are aligned with approved budgets, workplans and 3ie policies and practices; and
• Recruit, on-board, manage and supervise staff and consultants, as required; mentor junior staff, as needed.
Institutional advancement and communication
• Represent 3ie in evaluation and development fora, including technical working groups and donor, bilateral and multilateral consultative groups and meetings;
• Strengthen and build relationships with 3ie’s key stakeholders, including members, donors, policymakers and researchers;
• Lead and contribute to technical reports, publications, briefs, blogs, website content and other social media on evidence programs and professional services; and• Engage in strategic growth and diversification of the WO portfolio and other 3ie-wide initiatives to cultivate donors, develop partnerships, write technical proposals and support innovations in program development.
Education and work experience
• Doctoral degree in economics, public health, health systems, demography or other relevant social science field;
• Research experience and in-depth knowledge of experimental and quasi-experimental methods applied in impact evaluation (RCT, IV, propensity score matching, and interrupted time series);
• Experience designing and implementing one or more of the following: implementation research, process evaluations, formative research, qualitative research;
• Program management experience outside of research study management, with grants management experience strongly preferred;
• Experience working with high-level officials in funding agencies, international organisations, private foundations and government ministries;
• Academic knowledge of and direct field experience with health, nutrition and other social sector programming in L&MICs; preference for those with at least 1-2 years residential experience working in program evaluation and research in L&MICs;
• Experience in L&MIC policy development and/or policy implementation at either the national or sub-national level preferred; and
• Experience supporting new business activities and demonstrated ability to write technical proposals across one or more development sectors preferred.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; Spanish and/or French professional proficiency highly preferred;
• Excellent organisational skills, attention to detail and the flexibility and willingness to adapt to shifting weekly priorities and deadlines;
• Experience working and managing staff in a matrix environment; and
• Excellent cross-cultural skills and diplomacy and a reputation for being a strategic thinker, innovator and “field person.”
3ie is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation. We particularly encourage women, ethnic minorities and differently-abled persons to apply. 3ie is hiring one individual with the right to work in the US. Applicants must provide proof of permission to work in the country.
Terms of Employment
Candidates should be available to start work at the earliest. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
Please apply by e-mail to (firstname.lastname@example.org ) with the application materials listed below. Please include (Senior Evaluation Specialist) in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The applicant must provide, at a minimum, the following information:
• A cover letter, not exceeding one page, highlighting your qualifications and experience relevant to the terms of reference;
• Curriculum vitae (not to exceed four pages);
• Writing sample (preferably a sample of a proposal, research paper or other technical document that you alone authored);
• Contact information for three references.
• Please indicate in your cover letter if you are a US citizen or Green Card holder. If neither, please specify under what visa you are authorized to work in the US and for what period of time.
• Please indicate in your cover letter if you have a minimum salary requirement.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
About the Organization
The International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie) is an international grant-making organization that promotes evidence-informed equitable, inclusive and sustainable development. We support the generation and effective use of high-quality evidence to inform decision-making and improve the lives of people living in poverty in low- and middle-income countries (L&MICs). We provide guidance and support to produce, synthesise and quality assure evidence of what works, for whom, how, why and at what cost. 3ie is registered as a non-governmental organisation in the United States of America. It has offices in New Delhi, London and Washington, DC.
The Washington office (WO) manages a variety of evidence programmes and public goods, provides professional services and supports institutional advancement initiatives. The evidence programs include impact evaluations, implementation research, replication studies, systematic reviews and evidence gap maps. Currently, the WO’s evidence programs focus on health systems and services, nutrition and related social sector programs; whereas the rest of the portfolio encompasses the production and use of rigorous evidence across all development sectors.