EnCompass LLC is currently seeking a highly skilled, innovative evaluator, capable of leading technical design and implementation, client engagement and teams for both international and domestic projects on the Technical Assistance and Evaluation team. The Senior Evaluation Specialist is a full-time position, based out of the EnCompass Rockville, MD office, and reports to the Associate Director of Evaluation.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Evaluation Specialist leads and/or participates in monitoring, evaluation and technical assistance projects and activities, supervises staff, and deepens EnCompass’ approach to monitoring, evaluation, and learning.
Essential functions include:
- Provide monitoring/evaluation and subject matter expertise to various project activities
- Lead the design and management of monitoring and evaluation projects, including effective client engagement, team management, development of data collection strategies and tools; data collection, analysis and interpretation, preparation of high quality evaluation products (may include publishing or presenting significant work), and effective communication/dialogue with clients on findings, recommendations for evaluation use
- Design and facilitate meetings, trainings, and workshops related to monitoring, evaluation and learning, using appreciative, participatory, adult learning methodologies
- Develop and deepen innovative approaches to evaluation and participate actively in the broader evaluation community
- Manage monitoring, evaluation and learning contracts, including developing and monitoring Level of Effort estimates, workplans and budgets, and ensuring compliance.
- Build and maintain high quality relationships and communications with clients, prime contractors and subcontractors
- Manage contract teams to ensure quality performance of staff and consultants, including recruitment, hiring and managing consultants
- Supervise and mentor junior and mid-level staff
- Contribute to developing and improving evaluation project management systems.
- Contribute to the identification of opportunities, long term capture, and bid/no bid decisions
- Contribute to technical, cost, and management components of proposals
- Contribute to company business development through networking in professional circles
- Recruit consultants for proposals and contribute to expansion of the Global Consultant Network
- Master’s or PhD Degree in the social sciences, international development, education, public health, or related field
- Minimum 10 years of experience on monitoring and evaluation efforts of complex international development programs
- Minimum of 4 years of experience leading monitoring and evaluation projects (including overall responsibility for technical quality, managing budgets, and leading intercultural teams)
- In-depth understanding of international development processes, actors and cultures
- Strong qualitative and/or quantitative evaluation skills, including sample design, mixed method designs, data analysis and instrument development
- Quantitative skills should include good command of statistics, sampling methodologies, and statistical analysis software such as SPSS, STATA, Epi Info, among others
- Demonstrated experience managing complex data collection and analysis efforts
- Demonstrated experience in writing technical proposals for evaluations
- Ability to think strategically and integrate diverse information from varied sources
- Strong technical expertise within one or more social development sectors, such as education, democracy and governance, public health, HIV, gender, etc.
- Experience in designing and facilitating interactive meetings and workshops
- Knowledge of or experience in applying appreciative inquiry and participatory approaches highly desirable
- Significant experience directly engaging clients, implementing partners, and other key stakeholders
- Strong technical and general writing skills
- Flexibility and ability to travel internationally or domestically for varying lengths of time
- Proven track record of successful teamwork, good presentation/facilitation skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues
- Ability to manage multiple contracts and teams simultaneously and deliver quality products on time
- Skilled in word processing, database management, spreadsheets (Excel), and web-based programs
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with individuals at all levels
- Experience implementing USAID and/or Department of State monitoring, evaluation, and learning initiatives strongly desired. Familiarity with USAID policy and guidance with respect to monitoring and evaluation a plus.
- Direct experience engaging with USAID missions with respect to monitoring, evaluation, and learning strongly desired.
- Fluency in languages other than English highly desirable.
- Strong Workplanning and budgeting skills
- Strong planning, organization and strategic thinking skills
- Demonstrated experience managing and supervising consultants, staff, and teams
- Capability to identify, develop, and maintain a strong network of consultants
- Ability to be flexible in adjusting to client needs and project requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
EnCompass will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
About the Organization
EnCompass LLC is a women-owned small business that offers innovative solutions for organizational excellence. We seek to enhance the impact and capacity of government and multilateral agencies, corporations, and nonprofits around the world through customized services in organizational and leadership development, training, technical assistance, and evaluation. EnCompass has a global and multicultural team of staff and consultants with deep expertise in a range of issues including health, HIV/AIDS, gender, democracy and governance, education, human rights, agriculture and food security.