Senior Event Planner STTA
Period of Performance: April 29, 2019- July 31,2019
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
DevTech Systems, Inc. (DevTech) is an international consulting firm dedicated to development, with 35 years of experience providing advisory services and technical assistance to government, private sector, and civil society stakeholders in more than 100 countries. We are a data driven organization that specializes in informing policy making by delivering focused data-driven evidence-based analysis products and services. DevTech core practice areas include: Economic and Data analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation, Education and Youth Development, Gender and Inclusive Development, and Public Financial Management.
DevTech manages the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Activity (MEL). The Activity provides continuous, on-the-ground, on-demand and systematic support to USAID/Nigeria and implementing partners on performance monitoring, data verification, impact and performance evaluations, project and activity level monitoring, evaluation planning and management, organizational learning, capacity building, and knowledge management.
As part of strengthening the learning culture in USAID mission activities in Nigeria, the MEL Activity proposes a learning summit as a platform to fuel a growing drive of innovations in MEL by harnessing emerging initiatives and technologies to expand access to participatory and resourceful approach to Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning. With a unique focus on cross-sector connections around the technical focus of USAID Mission in Nigeria, this event brings together leading development actors, researchers and technical experts with accomplished MEL experience.
Scope of Work:
The consultant for the STTA will bring a creative and strategic lens to the coordination, planning, and execution of this Learning Summit. DevTech /MEL Activity anticipate that the consultant will offer innovative, participatory and state-of-the-art actions that will achieve a Learning Summit acceptable to USAID/Nigeria standard of practice and regional best practices.
The consultant will act as lead in implementing the following activities:
- Coordinate planning working with the internal planning team at DevTech MEL Activity in Abuja
- Prepare updates for planning meetings and coordinate required follow-up activities.
- Collaborate with the Planning Team in DevTech/MEL Activity to develop a strategic workplan for utilizing interactive and innovative activities and engagement techniques for the Learning summit; provide expert advice on regional best practices.
- Employ technology-based solutions in a thoughtful manner in the management and organization of the Learning Summit presentations. The technology-based innovation has to be replicable, adaptive and supports continuous usage even after the 2019 Learning Summit.
- Coordinate the “Call for Presentations” process. Communicate with presenters, including Keynotes, Workshops Paper, Panel discussants, and Posters; keep presenters apprised of the program schedule and additional logistical information.
- Liaise with presenters to ensure all audiovisual (and other) requirements are accommodated and presentation descriptions and presenters’ bios are submitted in timely manner.
- While the Learning Summit schedule will be determined by the Planning Committee, the individual selected will implement any necessary adjustments to accommodate cancellations, availability, etc.
- Coordinate the placement of signage in designated areas to reflect the current session in progress in each breakout room.
- Identify and secure possible opportunities for sponsorship, partnership and collaborations aimed at promoting sustainability of MEL Summit beyond 2020.
- Carry out other tasks as they arise in order to ensure a smooth event from start to finish.
- Liaise with, and/or advise as required on the supply of all on-site services, including the coordination of audiovisual requirements (including pre- and post-Summit); session recorders; printing of conference materials; signage; and other applicable materials and supplies.
- Set up a dedicated exhibit space for 10-25 exhibitors, including a table, internet connection and power strip, and space for participants to walk around and hold informal discussions comfortably.
- Set up a boardroom-style conference room for side meetings that can comfortably hold up to 100 people (number could change, pending Mission requests) in an area that is quiet, easily accessible, and has internet available.
- Ensure a dedicated meeting planner office space with capacity to store items (meeting supplies, materials, equipment, etc.) overnight.
- Propose and implement rational staffing, including “surge capacity” staffing throughout the 2 days event
- Liaise with venue personnel and/or provide counsel related to catering, facility management, and other relevant and required services.
- Liaise with venue personnel to ensure all rooms meet specified and agreed upon requirements.
- Liaise with venue personnel to ensure a “Secretariat center” space where at least three computers are set up to allow ICT team to manage live updates, tweets, Facebook messages; and as well support urgent printing support.
- Assist in the identification of event signage requirements and organize production of the same in accordance with USAID branding/marking standard.
- Use sound judgment during the decision-making process, keeping the Planning Committee apprised of any implications.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATION
Propose an online solution and use it to send and manage invitations, RSVPs, registration, etc.; provide solutions to invitees and act as troubleshooter as necessary.
- Lead on the development of all digital and non-digital marketing materials related to the event, including, but not limited to, save the dates, invitations, event programs, invitations, event signage, etc.
- Work with partners and other agencies, to be identified, to promote the Learning Summit through traditional and online channels. Understanding of USAID Nigeria media policy and engagement process will be strictly followed.
- Assist the internal Planning team with additional tasks when required.
Deliverables, Level of Effort, & Schedule:
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Summit executed with detailed Summit report submitted to DevTech/MEL Activity
- A functional web-based platform developed to manage Summit proceeding, papers and communications.
- List of potential and current sponsorship/partnership established to support MEL summit annually.
• A minimum of a post graduate degree in social science or related discipline with 5-8 years relevant work experience with government or INGOs; experienced in coordinating and planning events for international and national level is highly desirable;
• Ability to liaise with government, donors and stakeholders in a professional and friendly manner. Experience working with suppliers, contractors, employees, and many other parties is necessary. Applicants must be confident, persuasive, and able to communicate in English, conveying information with clarity, and respect.
• Ability to remain calm and manage pressure related to workloads, frustrations and delays. Strong analytical and writing skills with proven skills in policy recommendations and problem identification and solving; Flexible in working hours-ability to work evening and weekends if necessary. Ability to plan and prioritize work duties as well as work competently under pressure and tight deadlines Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
• Good computer skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and general computer knowledge for any specific software platform in enhancing conference presentations, participation and dissemination.
• Highly motivated with excellent skills in administration, organizational and time management. Ability to manage a multi-tasked team using a participatory process is desirable.
• Utilize local resources to the maximum extent.
• Consider gender, culture, and equity.
• Be flexible and adaptive.
• Ensure environmental management, safety and compliance.
• Provide clear, concise, and timely reports using USG requirements
• Must be Nigerian
NOTE: This job posting should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or other status protected by applicable law.