Senior Field Researcher,
Qualitative Study of USAID/Pakistan Grants Under Contract,
Performance Management Support Contract (PERFORM), Pakistan
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
In May 2015, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded a five-year contract to Management Systems International (MSI) to provide performance management support to USAID-sponsored development programs throughout Pakistan. The Performance Management Support Contract (PERFORM) serves as a centralized management support mechanism that provides services in (1) monitoring, (2) evaluation, (3) assessment, and (4) learning support. PERFORM provides data and information to help USAID/Pakistan project managers improve results through better implementation, design, and learning, enabling it to better target its programming and achieve its goals and objectives.
**Please note: Only Pakistani citizens are eligible for this position.**
USAID’s Office of Transition Initiatives (OTI) employs a unique implementation approach that enables it to respond quickly to emerging opportunities and adapt swiftly to changing needs, priorities, and operating environments. The study will examine prospects for institutionalizing OTI’s approach to using the grants under contract (GUC) mechanism across Mission programs to improve the ability to adaptively manage other programming. The study will rely largely on review of USAID, OTI, and project documents and approximately 20 key informant interviews.
The anticipated level of effort for the senior field researcher is 40-50 days between May 28, 2018 and August 31, 2018.
- Under the direction of the team leader and PERFORM staff:
- Participate in a structured review of key project documents.
- Participate in developing interview guides and plans for collecting and analyzing qualitative data from key informant interviews.
- Conduct key informant interviews and write up detailed interview notes within two days of conducting the interview.
- Participate in analyzing/synthesizing the qualitative data to answer the study questions.
- Participate in developing and delivering a debriefing presentation to USAID staff.
- Contribute to writing the study report.
- • Undertake other assignment-related tasks as specified by the team leader or PERFORM staff.
- At least a master’s degree in social science or a relevant field and 10 years of experience in the development sector.
- Experience developing interview guides and conducting key informant interviews, especially with high-level representatives of development organizations and their implementing partners.
- Strong social science research skills and fluency in qualitative research methods and analysis.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, USAID contracting mechanisms, especially grants under contract, is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills.
- Research experience with USAID-funded projects is a plus.
Candidates that have a real or potential conflict of interest will not be considered for this position. MSI will require a written statement to this effect before formal engagement on this position. Conflict of interest in this context includes, but is not limited to: close and/or family relations with the individuals that are related to the project, financial interest in the implementing organization(s) or grantees, current or previous experience with the project or the USAID requesting office, etc.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.