Results for Development (R4D) is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Senior Finance and Administration (F&A) Officer to join our Global Health team and provide financial, operational and administrative support to the following portfolio of projects:
- African Collaborative for Health Financing Solutions (ACS): A 5-year USAID-funded project focused on assisting sub-Saharan countries advance UHC through a unique model that works across the continent to support regional bodies and country-level multi-stakeholder platforms to share knowledge and strengthen accountability in support of health financing policies and processes that further progress toward UHC.
- Strategic Purchasing for Africa Resource Center (SPARC): A 4-year Gates-funded initiative supporting countries in sub-Saharan Africa overcome technical, institutional, and political economy obstacles to implementing effective strategic purchasing by creating a vibrant network of experts across the region who are supporting and implementing strategic health purchasing, and providing this network with crucial high-quality technical resources and creative solutions to navigate political economy challenges.
- The Learning Network for Countries in Transition (LNCT): A platform dedicated to supporting countries as they transition away from Gavi support to full domestic financing of their national immunization programs.
The Sr. F&A Officer will provide financial, administrative and organizational support to the technical and programmatic staff on this portfolio of projects. They will be responsible for working in collaboration with other support teams, such as Finance accounting, procurement, and HR on a range of administrative, financial, new business development, and project support tasks. As our work continues to grow, so will the Sr. F&A Officer’s scope of work.
This position is based in Washington, DC, and will report to the Senior Program Officer managing these projects.
Compliance and Tracking:
- Maintain a birds-eye view of overall reporting requirements, financial management and grant timelines across the portfolio of projects
- Evaluate, document and monitor compliance requirements for USAID, the Gates Foundation, Gavi and other funders, including for various allowable expenses
- Create systems, processes and templates for tracking individual grant requirements (financial, reporting), including processing internal paperwork for grant reporting deadlines and preparing and submitting funder reports in compliance with financial and admin reporting needs
- Support and collaborate with F&A point persons on existing project teams to troubleshoot and provide effective senior backstopping on F&A tasks as needed
- Maintain project trackers in coordination with F&A project point persons; Ensure sound project financial, administrative, and programmatic management (i.e.: achievement of contract deliverables, consultant and sub-award tracking, invoicing, effective project burn rates against planned activities, etc.)
- Update project budget forecasts; Review monthly expenses and lead in the preparation and submission of monthly funding requests to donors
Consultants, Sub-awards and Procurement:
- Work with internal and external partners to support the processing of sub-awards, sub-contracts, Memorandum of Understanding (MOUs) or other agreements
- Monitor the implementation and legal compliance of partners within the parameters of these agreements
- Lead the procurement, administrative and financial requisition processes, including developing contracts with vendors, invoicing and payment, etc.
- Conduct spot checks on invoices and payments submitted by F&A point persons, ensuring compliance with funder rules and regulations
Reporting, budgeting and broader portfolio forcasting:
- Assist in the development of new and existing project work plans and deliverables, budgeting, and funder quarterly and annual progress reports; provide oversight to the development of daily activity budgets and financial management/budget reporting within projects by junior F&A staff (ie. workshops)
- Develop and manage project budgets for different country mission activities, as required
- Track LOE of all team members in portfolio against project burn rates, and linking to long term vision for funding needs. Will require close coordination with broader health portfolio
- Collaborate with project leads in considering/evaluating longer term funding needs of projects and developing indvidiual funding and staffing plans in line with technical requirements
- Document and collect financial management best practices and leading trainings
- Liais with respective departments - finance, accounting, HR, procurement, IT/Operatons - to ensure joint planning and organized execution of project financials and other needs.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivating, have excellent interpersonal skills tact, possess a strong work-ethic and ‘can-do’ attitude and will have a desire to grow their skills and experience in project operations and developing systems for financial tracking. The Sr. F&A Officer will be expected to successfully manage competing priorities and deadlines and must be highly organized, detail-oriented, conscientious, flexible, and able to work independently and as part of a remote team. Exceptional multi-tasking, decision-making, and communication (verbal and written) abilities are required.
- BA or MA in Finance, Business Administration, Finance, Economics or related field,
- 5-7 years of financial management/reporting/administration, budget management, expense processing, and project coordination experience, preferably related to USAID projects
- Experience with USAID, the Gates Foundation, DfID and other foundations or European funders; Ability to strategically create and manage sub-awards under these funders
- Experience with finance systems integration and developing/maintaining project tracking tools
- Exceptional data presentation skills and a basic understanding of Universal Health Coverage (UHC) and Health Financing
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) software required
- Willingness to travel internationally as needed (approx. 10%)
- Proficiency in French highly desirable
About the Organization
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too. www.R4D.org