Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. (Cardno) is currently seeking an experienced Senior Financial Management Specialist for an anticipated six year donor-funded Program in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
Cardno is an industry leader in providing Fiscal/Procurement Agent services for multiple international donors. Cardno is currently providing Fiscal/Procurement Agent services in over 13 countries in Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe.
The Senior Financial Management Specialist, as part of the Fiscal Agent team, will manage as well as execute day-to-day financial management and accounting activities of the Program. Specific responsibilities include:
- Assist in the preparation of budgets, plans, manuals, reports, and certifications.
- Monitor commitments, budgets, and plans on a day-to-day basis.
- Assist in setting up automated budgeting, commitment, and accounting systems and maintain and monitor these systems on a daily basis.
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of the chart of accounts, reporting templates, and internal controls mechanisms.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and half-yearly financial reports.
- Provide advice on the financial activities of the Program including reviewing contracts related to procurement of goods, works, and services.
- Review payment requests, fixed assets register, prepare funds reconciliation, and manage all activities related to payroll.
- Oversee all cash management activities.
- Ensure all financial activities are carried out in compliance with local tax laws, international accounting standards, and conditions included in the grant and implementation agreements.
- Protect the financial management activity from fraud, waste, and abuse.
- Minimum 10 years of senior level experience in accounting, budgeting, financial management, and reporting
- Experience setting up a financial management operation
- Excellent knowledge and experience in working with IFRS or U.S. GAAP
- Knowledge and experience in project based accounting, financial management, and contract management
- Strong skills in payment operations, funds control, cash and commitment management, internal controls, and international accounting standards
- Good understanding of local tax laws and compliances
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with high-level government officials
- Previous working experience on projects financed by international donors or development agencies (MCC, World Bank, USAID, Global Fund, or others)
- Experience working on projects in the energy sector related to diversification and efficiency optimization; increasing access to electricity; modernizing electricity transmission and distribution networks; or strengthening market forces in the sector is desirable
- Experience working in French speaking West Africa and experience working in Burkina Faso is an advantage
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in finance, business, economics, accounting, public administration or a related field
- Accounting certifications such as ACCA, CA or CPA, or equivalent specialized training
- Fluency in French; Advanced English – reading, writing, and speaking
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, Project, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated experience in the design, maintenance and use of automated financial management and accounting systems.
- Experience with SAP-based systems desirable
About the OrganizationCardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd., is part of Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division with international development assistance companies in Brisbane, Brussels, Jakarta, Melbourne, Nairobi, Oxford, Port Moresby, and Washington, DC. Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. was formerly Emerging Markets Group, Ltd. and brings nearly a 30-year history serving the objectives of bilateral and multilateral donors and private clients. The Emerging Markets Division brings together a broad range of experience and talent; a rich history of innovation, passion and commitment to international development and an established reputation for high quality demand and client driven services.
Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division manages more than $750 million in current contracts and grants, brings together over 90 years of collective experience, and engages over 3,700 professionals in more than 100 countries. Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division currently implements over 130 projects globally.