Abt Associates is seeking a Senior Fiscal Oversight Expert for an anticipated programme in Malawi.
Fiscal and Procurement Oversight (FPO) for the Health Services Joint Fund (HSJF) is a programme funded by the German Federal Government through KfW, aiming to provide oversight to a US$20-30M per year donor pooled fund. HSJF funds activities at approximately 35 cost centres across Malawi dealing with 5,000 invoices per year in foreign currency and Malawi Kwachas. This programme will oversight and authorisation for all payments made by the HSJF. This will include applying ex-post and ex-ante controls to payments, preparing annual budgets, accounting and reporting to contributing donors (UK FCDO, Norwegian Aid, and KfW). In addition, it will provide technical assistance to the Malawian Ministry of Health internal Audit Unit. It will also review procurement procedures prior to all contract awards, providing oversight to all projects funded by HSJF, review HSJF procurement plans and provide technical assistance to procuring entities.
The Senior Fiscal Oversight Expert will be ultimately responsible for ensuring the HSJF expenditure are disbursed and accounted in accordance with the HSJF Fiscal Accountability Plan and applicable legislation and accounting standards. The Expert must have a strong understanding of accountancy standards and practices, along with programme financial management and oversight.
The Senior Fiscal Oversight Expert will, among other things:
- Hold ultimate responsibility for the management and quality of all fiscal-related deliverable
- Lead on the preparation of annual budgets in support to the MoH, including conducting regular budget variance analysis, and the subsequent updating of budgets, workplans and cash flows
- Lead the successful implementation of ex-ante and ex-post controls, including verifying, approving and co-signing necessary commitment documents
- Ensure all payments are transparent, timely and thoroughly reviewed in line with workplan and budget documentation
- As part of the broader team, review and analyse invoices and receipts as part of HSJF payment disbursement
- Proven understanding of managing large donor funds and/ or budget
- Proven record of working on health financing and governance projects
- Masters’ degree in accounting, or similar field
- Professional accounting certification (CPA, MCIPS or similar, applicable to the role)
- Ten years of experience practicing accounting in Eastern, Southern, or Central Africa
- Experience working in Malawi preferred
- Three previous assignments as a senior expert in a fiscal oversight agent capacity, each with a min. duration of three years, or similar experience
- Familiarity with KfW programming preferred
- Fluency in English
For Further Information and Application Details
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associate’s website, and should include a current CV, cover letter and a response to the key requirements as outlined in the advert and in the Terms of Reference available to download from the Vacancy Page (View Position Description)
The closing date for applications is 28 January 2021
We welcome and thank all applications however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from experienced and capable women.
Please note, the role is subject to contract’s award.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.