Title: Senior Foundations Officer
Reports to: Director of Foundation Relations
Over the last five years Partners In Health has more than doubled its revenue and expanded its workforce by more than 20%. We have responded to the devastating earthquake in Haiti and expanded to serve two new countries in West Africa in response to the outbreak of Ebola. Over the next five years we anticipate this rapid growth to continue, with an ambitious goal to more than double again our current revenue. We are actively seeking dynamic and entrepreneurial people to join our team who are driven by their values and passion and are committed to the mission and values of the organization.
Partners in Health is seeking a Senior Foundations Officer to join our growing Foundations Relations team. S/he will be directly responsible for increasing revenue for organizational priorities in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. The Senior Foundations Officer is primarily responsible for the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of foundation gifts of $100,000+. The Senior Foundations Officer reports to the Director of Foundations and manages and mentors a subset of the Foundations Relations team.
- Cultivate and solicit a portfolio of PIH foundation donors and prospects, assuming primary responsibility for stewardship and retention.
- Build strong relationships with staff in the field to engage them in program design, proposal development and to understand PIH’s work at a sufficient level of depth to represent it to partner institutions
- Lead the development of strategies to maximize giving from each portfolio donor and secure new sources of support, working directly with program, finance and executive leadership.
- Write and edit requests for funding, such as letters of inquiry, concept papers, proposals, and grant applications, as well as reports and other updates to donors.
- Provide leadership to meet proposal and report deadlines and ensure timely implementation of donor engagement strategies. Lead discussions with internal stakeholders and with funders to define proposal strategies.
- Manage a subset of staff on the Foundations Relations team, as determined by the Director
- Plan and participate in donor visits and other targeted contact with donors and prospects; guide staff and board in cultivation and solicitation activity.
- Collaborate across development to identify comprehensive points of intersection of donors and prospects.
- Requires at least 5 years of fundraising experience, including a demonstrated track record of writing strong proposals and managing relationships with institutional partners. And experience working with private foundations.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred. Raisers’ Edge experience desirable
- Outstanding analytical writing skills
- Strong managerial experience and effective team-building skills
- Commitment to social justice and mission of PIH
- Demonstrated leadership in developing and implementing effective fundraising strategies and in building constituent relationships
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact and collaborate with professional colleagues and partners in a broad range of indigenous, nongovernmental, governmental, and international organizations across multiple sociocultural contexts
- Ability to successfully work across a complex organization and leverage limited resources; strong facilitation, communication and negotiation skills required
- Strong organizational skills; ability to manage complex projects from creation to completion, plan and prioritize multiple projects, and coordinate teams to meet deadlines
- Command of international funding and cultural competency from working or volunteering for global mission-based organization
- Ability and enthusiasm for international travel required.
About the Organization
Partners In Health (PIH) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Boston, MA, whose mission is to provide quality health care for the poor and marginalized in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Dominican Republic, and Navajo Nation. Through service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works around the globe to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need of it, to serve as an antidote to despair, and inspire others to do the same.