EnCompass LLC is currently seeking a Senior Gender and Health Specialist. The Senior Gender and Health Specialist will be responsible for providing day-to-day management and oversight of field-based projects with a focus on gender integration, GBV prevention and response, and health (including HIV and tuberculosis). They will have expertise in gender integration, and GBV prevention and response in the health sector (including HIV) with demonstrated experience managing field projects, providing technical assistance, and supervising headquarters and field-based teams (staff and consultants).
The Senior Gender and Health Specialist is a full-time position, based out of the EnCompass Rockville, MD office and will report to the Director of Gender and Inclusive Development.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the management and technical liaison between EnCompass headquarters and the prime contractor in country
- Supervise the in-country EnCompass staff
- Manage project teams
- Manage contracts and task orders, including engagement with clients, prime contractors, and subcontractors
- Recruit, hire, and manage consultants
- Manage budgets to ensure quality performance and fiscal responsibility
- Provide technical guidance and quality control on all deliverables
- Provide technical leadership and support in gender integration, GBV prevention and response, and health (including HIV and tuberculosis).
- Provide expertise in gender integration and GBV prevention and response, including conducting gender analyses and gender assessments
- Design and facilitate meetings, trainings, and workshops, using utilization-focused, appreciative, participatory, adult learning methodologies and approaches
- Develop and deepen innovative approaches to gender integration, gender equality, GBV prevention and response, and participate actively in relevant professional (formal and informal) communities.
- Prepare high quality reports and technical resources (may include publishing or presenting significant work) on topics related to gender and inclusive development, and evaluation
- Conduct field work internationally and domestically, as needed
- Lead or contribute to technical components of proposals related to gender equality and inclusive development
- Participate in new business generation discussions with potential partners and EnCompass staff members
- Contribute to the expansion of EnCompass’ global consultant network by engaging professional fora, and identifying potential consultants for proposals and task orders and contracts.
- Master’s Degree and a minimum of 10 years professional experience or PhD and minimum of 6 years of experience in public health, social sciences, international development, economics, political science, or a related field
- Demonstrated expertise in gender integration in health, GBV prevention and response in the USAID context
- Strong technical expertise in gender integration, gender-based violence prevention and response in the health sector; HIV and tuberculosis desired
- Experience managing USAID field projects.
- In-depth understanding of international development processes, actors, and client cultures
- Experience in designing and facilitating different types of meetings and workshops using a variety of participatory, adult-learning methodologies and approaches
- Ability to think strategically and integrate diverse information from varied sources
- Fluency in a United Nations language in addition to English (especially French) highly desirable
- Knowledge of or experience in applying appreciative inquiry and participatory approaches highly desirable
- Strong technical and general writing skills
- Proven experience forming, managing, and participating in successful teams, presenting and facilitating in a variety of fora, and verbal and written communications skills required
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues
- Flexibility and ability to travel internationally or domestically for varying lengths of time
- Skilled in word processing, database management, spreadsheets (Excel), and web-based programs
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with individuals at all levels
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple contracts simultaneously and deliver quality, client-focused results on time and within budget
- Strong planning, organization, and strategic thinking skills
- Demonstrated experience managing, and supervising staff, consultants, and teams
- Demonstrated presence and participation in gender equality and inclusive development networks
- Ability to be flexible in adjusting to client needs and project requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
EnCompass will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
About the Organization
EnCompass LLC is a women-owned small business that offers innovative solutions for organizational excellence. We seek to enhance the impact and capacity of government and multilateral agencies, corporations, and nonprofits around the world through customized services in organizational and leadership development, training, technical assistance, and evaluation. EnCompass has a global and multicultural team of staff and consultants with deep expertise in a range of issues including health, HIV/AIDS, gender, democracy and governance, education, human rights, agriculture and food security.