JSI’s International Division seeks an energetic, talented, entrepreneurial self-starter who’s captivated by new business development. The position is DC- or Boston-based and will work closely with the VP of Global New Business. We want someone excited by the chance to provide input to division-wide new business development strategic priorities, informed by market trend analysis of target donors and JSI’s technical and business priorities. The Senior Global New Business Development Manager contribute strategic leadership in identifying and positioning with current and new funders. S/he will lead the capture and proposal development phases of significant, high interest target bids, as well as other business opportunities. S/he will be supervised by the Vice President of Global New Business Development.
- Develop and implement strategies to identify and cultivate new government, foundation and other funders.
- Collaborate with Centers, Boston International Group and Communications to improve systems for positioning and visibility as part of NBD efforts.
- Develop and monitor matrixes to evaluate success of new business strategies
- Coordinate with the Centers, Boston International Group to support capture and proposal development.
- Undertake efforts to improve the NBD systems at JSI.
- Conduct staff training and mentor JSI staff to lead proposal teams or serve as a technical writer.
- Routinely analyze changes in donor trends and present data and strategies to respond for JSI staff.
- Lead capture phase activities, including in-country information gathering, to establish JSI’s conceptual approach, identify potential partners, and inform staffing strategy.
- Facilitate/lead design program design as proposal coordinator.
- Formalize and negotiate partner pre-teaming and teaming agreements, in collaboration with technical writer and finance lead.
- For proposals for which s/he is the coordinator, accept overall responsibility for the technical approach and strategies, monitoring and evaluation plan, management plan, and personnel section; ensure responsiveness and readability.
- Lead internal post-submission debriefs to learn and improve process.
- Contribute to ongoing programs as assigned, approximately 20% time.
- Master’s degree and 8-10 years’ experience working for an international development organization, with at least 5-7 years as a proposal manager or team lead on large USG proposals.
- Proven track record of identifying, tracking, and winning bilateral, multilateral and private sector solicitations.
- In depth knowledge about international development, current trends and priorities, particularly in the field of health.
- In-depth knowledge of USAID, other USG as well as DfID, EU, Gates, MacArthur and other public and private sector funders’ programmatic priorities, business practices, rules and regulations.
- Proven experience with a variety of emerging approaches to NBD and solicitation, including Annual Program Assessments and co-creation opportunities such as Broad Agency Announcements, Expressions of Interest, and Concept Notes.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities across the new business development cycle (capture, proposal development, partnering, debriefing).
- Ability to analyze and synthesize a wide range of information in order to develop proposal strategies.
- Ability to make complex bidding decisions and communicate decisions to proposal teams and division leadership.
- Strong interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills.
- Proven track record in building and maintaining positive working relationship with funders
- Strong written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to write required documents in a clear, concise, well-organized manner.
- Fluency in English, written and oral. Fluency in other languages preferred.
- Ability to travel internationally (up to 30%).
About the Organization
John Snow, Inc., and our nonprofit JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc., are public health management consulting and research organizations dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. Our mission is to improve the health of underserved people and communities and to provide a place where people of passion and commitment can pursue this cause.