Available for immediate deployment for rapid response operations to provide team leadership in the field with county level coordination, donors and partner organisations, design of strategy, and ensure overall quality of the rapid response. The Emergency Response Team Leader also serves as the main focal point to ensure effective communication with headquarters during the response.
New rapid operational responses comprise around 7% of the annual Medair portfolio budget and could involve up to three responses per year.
Medair HQ, Lausanne, Switzerland (Negotiable) with up to 80% in the field per year.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
Rapid Response Management – Field Deployment
- Lead strategic planning and ensure implementation of assessments, quick impact projects, etc.
- Ensure adherence to county policies pursuing registration and permissions from local authorities.
- Strong current analysis of humanitarian and political developments in the country.
- Develop accountable contact with the field representatives of the relevant funding partners.
- Coordinate the design of project plans and writing of proposals.
- Ensure Medair is represented in relevant cluster and coordination meetings.
Accountability and Communication
- Ensure monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the implementation of the planned activities.
- Support the external communication needed within the team through the Field Communication Officer.
- Submit daily, weekly or monthly situation reports as per the need.
- Ensure minimum financial processes are carried out in a timely manner during a rapid response.
- Ensure financial controls are in place and complied with to ensure cost effective spending.
- Ensure analysis of projected cash flow and that timely cash requests are sent to HQ as needed.
- Ensure security management during the rapid response based on adherence to security policy.
- Ensure that security location plans are up-to-date and that a good system for briefings is maintained.
- Ensure appropriate Field Crisis Management capacity as described in Medair’s Crisis Management Plan.
Human Resources Management
- Encourage a working and living environment in line with Medair values that supports the general well-being of all staff.
- Ensure compliance with National Labour Law where applicable.
Networking & Influence
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with relevant authorities and other stakeholders.
Strategic Planning & Preparedness
- Support the development of SOPs, policies, templates, toolkits, and other modules to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Medair rapid response teams globally.
- Support Medair County Programmes to respond to new emergencies.
- Utilize technical expertise in areas of humanitarian response to grow Medair and specifically the Global ERT into new areas and styles of programming such as with inclusion of cash distributions.
Training & Capacity Building
- Support the development of training plans for building the capacity of Medair staff in emergencies.
Communication, Networking & Influencing
- Support relationship building among humanitarian aid and other relevant networks in order to share good practice, stay informed on current humanitarian aid trends, and elevate the visibility of Medair.
- Establish strategic, and consttuctive relationships with aid and humanitarian agencies at regional and headquarter levels to facilitate strategic, principled, appropriate and timely humanitarian response.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Relevant university degree (Bachelor). Training in security risk management / staff management.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 5-7 years relevant post qualification experience, of which 2-3 years’ should be humanitarian experience including at least one initial emergency response and set-up phase and 2 years of experience in senior management in humanitarian context.
- Experience in networking with donors; proven ability to secure, manage and report on grants.
- Proven experience in project cycle management and programme funding.
- Good communication skills. Excellent diplomatic, negotiation, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of humanitarian context, sector standards, Sphere standards, CHS and protection issues.
- Ability to give direction and leadership during field deployments.
- Strong coordination skills to bring multiple stakeholders together and come to decisions or actions.
- Strong strategic, planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
- For more senior / technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.